Recommended book for boy's discussion group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covenant Joel

Puritan Board Sophomore
Recommended book for boy\'s discussion group?

I'm going to be leading a young men's bible study/discussion group in the near future. Just thought I'd ask what books you all would recommend for such a group.

At this point I'm considering Don't Waste Your Life by Piper and The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges.

The group is mainly composed of guys from middle to high school aged, and most are either from a fundamentalist background and are still in that, or are from it and whose families have reacted against it to some extent. None are from a really Reformed background.

I'm not looking to push Reformed theology really hard in what I use and say--though it will definitely come out in a lot of areas. Due to the circumstances, I don't think it would be wise to pick a book just pushing Reformed doctrines.

I really need something that would be encouraging to young men, and yet also go deeper into Scripture than what you here in the average (no disrespect intended) fundamental, independent, Baptist church.

Would the two I mentioned above be worth pursuing?

Thanks,
Joel

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by Covenant Joel]

Future Men by Douglas Wilson

Quote from Amazon.com
Book Description
Future Men is a Christian guide to raising strong, masculine, virtuous sons, contrary to the effemininity and distorted masculinities of contemporary culture.

When Theodore Roosevelt taught Sunday school for a time, a boy showed up one Sunday with a black eye. He admitted he had been fighting and on a Sunday too. He told the future president that a bigger boy had been pinching his sister, and so he fought him. TR told him that he had done perfectly right and gave him a dollar. The stodgy vestrymen thought this was a bit much, and so they let their exuberant Sunday school teacher go. What a loss.

Unbelief cannot look past surfaces. Unbelief squashes; faith teaches. Faith takes a boy aside and tells him that this part of what he did was good, while that other part of what he did got in the way.

Joel,

This is not specifically for young men, but I have found that using Watson's "Godly Man's Picture" is very fruitful.

Every Thought Captive by Pratt
Suited for that age group
Cause them to think
Build up their confidence in their beliefs
lay some groundwork in reformed thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back