Recommended Doctoral Programs? Systematics or Apologetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgemmen9

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone,

I am looking to apply to strong doctoral programs focusing in Systematics or Apologetics.

I have a Masters of Divinity and almost a Th.M in systematics at Calvin Seminary. I am hoping to find a program focusing on Apologetics, but a systematics program would be alright too if I don't get in to an apologetics program. I am Reformed Calvinist and I am currently a member of the CRC, though I was OPC for a number of years. I am currently looking at applying to Westminster Seminary, PA, Wycliffe College, Toronto CA, and Fuller. Money is a factor, though I am willing to move virtually anywhere and drag out the program if I have to pay more money out of pocket. Any other suggestions for good schools?

Hi Shelby,

What do you hope to gain from doctoral work, and how do you hope to use it (ie, pastor, teach, etc.)?

I hope to end up doing pastoral work, and maybe one day teaching at either a Bible College or a Seminary. I also hope to do some writing and non-profit work. As a side note, I was hoping to find some place that is ATS accredited, which I think rules out places like Whitefield; if I'm not mistaken.

I hope to end up doing pastoral work, and maybe one day teaching at either a Bible College or a Seminary. I also hope to do some writing and non-profit work. As a side note, I was hoping to find some place that is ATS accredited, which I think rules out places like Whitefield; if I'm not mistaken.

Have you considered staying at Calvin? Not to hijack, but how is the ThM program there? I'm looking into ThM programs...

I suggest you ask your professors. If you trust them enough to educate you thus far, I'd give their opinion more weight than those of PBers.

I suggest you ask your professors. If you trust them enough to educate you thus far, I'd give their opinion more weight than those of PBers.

Wise counsel here...even as a PB'er! Ha! Seriously, though, your profs know you and will be able to give you good advice.

I should have checked before I posted. Biola appears to only have a Masters program in Apologetics.

Have you considered staying at Calvin? Not to hijack, but how is the ThM program there? I'm looking into ThM programs...

I pretty much ruled calvin out b/c I am here already, and a Grand Rapids native. Getting all your degrees at the same place is not only a career killer, but also not very fun. I want to move, explore the world a little :).

As far as Calvin's Th.M program, in my experience there are a lot of good courses in Historical theology. I am more of a systematics guy, so I have appreciated Dr. Bolt's Herman Bavinck courses. The program is great if you're into Dutch Reformed theology (which I am). It also has a strong emphasis on the "Method" of writing research papers. The school, however, is not strictly confessionally reformed, but students certainly have a liberty of conscience in their writing and they do have high academic standards. That's my two cents on Calvin Sem's Th.M program....

To all others who posted, thanks for the advice. I will pursue further conversations with my profs and consider applying to Westminster Philly. I went there a few weeks ago for the science and faith conference. I love Westminster, but it may be a bit pricey even if I were to get accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back