Recommended Listening?

Discussion in 'Preaching' started by sitdownicantsee, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitdownicantsee

sitdownicantsee Puritan Board Freshman

Hello all,
    Like many of us here, I go to work in the morning and come home in the evening (God willing). During the thirty minute ride, I have an mp3 player that I use that is filled with nothing but sermons. I do not listen to much music in the car, just sermons. Washer, Baucham, Beeke, Ravenhill, Lloyd-Jones, etc. Would any of you kind brothers and sisters have recommended sermons that I might purpose to download? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. rbcbob

rbcbob Puritan Board Graduate

Jim Savastio
    Al Martin
    Gary Hendrix
    All at Sermon Audio

3. baron

baron Puritan Board Graduate

4. Scot

Scot Puritan Board Sophomore

5. sitdownicantsee

6. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

7. thbslawson

thbslawson Puritan Board Freshman

Alistair Begg is an excellent expositor. You can get his podcasts through iTunes, or check out truthforlife.org.

8. Apologist4Him

Apologist4Him Puritan Board Freshman

9. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

If you like the content and style of those guys, I recommend (1) Art Azurdia and (2) Tod Magstadt's readings of Spurgeon (under the CloudAudio brand).

Although not quite in the same theological vein, I am also usually enriched by anything from D.A. Carson or Mike Reeves, as well as several others who've already been mentioned here and need not be repeated. One of my favorite not-yet-mentioned sites for links to sermons is Faith By Hearing. It's not as active now as it used to be, but the archives will keep you busy for many drives.

I go through 3 or 4 audio sermons a week, so I too need variety.

10. jesusslave

jesusslave Puritan Board Freshman

11. Bethel

Bethel Puritan Board Freshman

12. The Calvinist Cop

The Calvinist Cop Puritan Board Freshman

Definitely Richard Caldwell, also try:
    Saved or Self-Deceived, Part 1
    Saved or Self-Deceived, Part 1
    RC Sproul at Reformed Theology from R.C. Sproul: Ligonier Ministries
    And Lakeside Bible Church / Welcome, I like how Ken Ramey and Adam Tyson teach.

In Christ

13. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

Sinclair Ferguson has to be one of the most solid preachers in the pulpit today.

Here are sermons from someone not as well known: the pastor at Redeemer OPC near Atlanta pastored the church my daughter attended in college. He has a series on 1 Peter that has been very helpful and reflects a very able hand with the text.

14. Don Kistler

Don Kistler Puritan Board Sophomore

I can recommend no one higher than Eric Alexander of Scotland. His son has put up a website with many of his sermons on it.

John R. deWitt is another brilliant preacher.

John MacArthur has made 43 years of sermons available for free download on his church's website. That ought to keep you busy for awhile! :eek:)

15. jawyman

jawyman Puritan Board Junior

Dr. David Murray of PRTS is excellent. You can hear him on sermon audio.

16. sitdownicantsee

I have queued all of your suggestions --- this kind of stuff I get excited about! I am looking forward to hearing these. Thank ya'll for such a response.

17. Galatians220

Galatians220 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

18. Apologist4Him

Apologist4Him Puritan Board Freshman

I've listened to countless lectures by R.C. Sproul, he is my favorite theologian to listen to. If I could afford to, I would have all of his available lectures on CD. One of my favorite series of lectures, is the "Born Again" series.

19. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

20. Pilgrim Standard

Pilgrim Standard Puritan Board Sophomore

21. JM

JM Puritan Board Professor

22. ProtestantBankie

ProtestantBankie Puritan Board Freshman

John J. Murray who is "deep theology" if you read theology for "fun" this man is right up your street. Getting on in years, but more active than ever.
    Maurice Roberts at sermonaudio in addition to the above

My own Minister recently preached a great sermon on "What is Holiness?" which I found really profitable.
    What is holiness?

4 men in Scotland worth hearing
    William MacLeod, Knightswood Free Church
    Andrew Quigley, Airdrie RP
    Kenny Stewart, Glasgow RP [Formerly of Dowanvale]
    Gavin Beers, Ayr Free Church

23. NB3K

NB3K Puritan Board Sophomore

Doxology Press has the following theologians and their works free to download HERE

They are all in mp3 format and electronic voice.

John Calvin's Institutes of The Christian Religion
    The Works of Jonathan Edwards
    The Works of John Owen
    Augustine
    Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology

24. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

I keep coming back to Beeke's series on backsliding. I'm encouraged, nurtured, challenged, and humbled each time I hear it. Highly recommended.

Backsliding Series - SermonAudio.com

25. Galatians220

Galatians220 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Beeke has a new little book on backsliding, if anyone would like to read a summary of the series: Getting Back in the Race: The Cure for Backsliding - Reformation Heritage Books. It's only $7. I haven't quite finished it yet, but here's another one on backsliding that's a great one & that I believe others here have mentioned: Personal Declension and Revival of Religion in the Soul, by Octavius Winslow. It's only $6!

26. charispistis

charispistis Puritan Board Freshman

sermonaudio has been a great place for me. I've been listening to Joe Morecraft III for the past couple of months on my iPhone. I highly recommend it. Also, he preached on all 66 books of the Bible, and it's a great resource to listen to right before you start reading that particular book.

27. Jeffriesw

Jeffriesw Puritan Board Freshman

I am not real good at posting links, but look on sermonaudio.com for Dr. Joe Morecraft. He has 55 part series on the history of the reformation, it is extremely good so far, I am on #14.

I have an hour ride to work each way, it has been a real blessing to me.

28. JM

JM Puritan Board Professor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.