Recommended reading: light, fun family fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
A little background: when my wife and I had our first child and it seemed like all he did was nurse we read through the hobbit in about three days. I decided to get a longer series of books and ended up picking up A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. We spent the next several months reading the 13 books of the series. Well, we are going to have our second child in about two months, and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for somewhat similar book series. A Series of Unfortunate Events was one of the best written, entertaining, engaging pieces of writing I have ever read (no joke). I probably wouldn't read it to my kids because it's not written from a Christian worldview, but it was entertaining nonetheless. Some of the common recommendations I've seen online are Artemis Fowl, Edgar and Ellen, the Spiderwick Chronicles, and the Eddie Dickson Trilogy. Several of them seem to portray a villain as a hero, which I'm not very interested in. Any recommendations that we might enjoy?

Since this is for reading with or to your wife, and since you seem to prefer fiction, I'd recommend the No. 1 Ladies Home Detective series by Alexander McCall Smith. They are characterized by a very gentle humor.

I would highly recommend the Crown and Covenant Series by Douglas Bond.
He is a wonderfully, engaging writer. I like the fact that he uses historical settings and facts around a set fictional main characters. I would also say as Father I was quite encouraged by the Father in this trilogy. You could easily read this aloud with the family, depending on the ages of your children.

He also has written a book about around the life of Calvin, called The Betrayel. Where his main character(fictional) is a man that is directly involved with Calvin his whole life. So, it's like a biography with a great story around it to tell the life of Calvin.

As well as others he has written

Have you read the Narnia series by C.S. Lewis? If you liked Tolkien, it'd probably be a good choice.

Yes, we've read the Chronicles of Narnia together. It's definitely another very fun read. I'm sure we'd enjoy reading it again!

-----Added 12/21/2009 at 12:01:26 EST-----

You could always follow up with the L.O.T.R. trilogy. Excellent reads!

Yes, the LOTR is also an excellent read. I tried reading it with my wife once, but I got so enraptured with it, that I just speed through the book on my own!

Try the Father Brown series by GK Chesterton. They are light, short mysteries and very charmingly written.

My wife read to me the trilogy The Courtship Of Nellie Fisher by Beverly Lewis. It tells of the conversions of several members of an Amish family to true faith in Jesus Christ and the shunning endured as a result. I enjoyed them very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back