Recommended sermons/commentaries on Acts?

Discussion in 'The Gospels & Acts' started by Shawn Mathis, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn Mathis

Shawn Mathis Puritan Board Sophomore

Thanks in advance.

2. gkterry

gkterry Puritan Board Freshman

Calvin-commentary, Sermons on Acts 1-7
    Derek Thomas - Acts - in the Reformed Expository Commentary series
    Acts Commentary (sermon-like) - RC Sproul

Good places to start

3. jambo

jambo Puritan Board Senior

I have been reading Martyn Lloyd-Jones series on Acts. Powerful stuff

4. Dearly Bought

Dearly Bought Puritan Board Junior

Check this out: Acts of the Apostles Resources (Feeding On Christ).

I agree with them that Peterson is excellent, as is Johnson's redemptive-historical survey as far as moderns go. Otherwise, J.A. Alexander and Calvin's commentaries are helpful, along with Dick's lectures if his selection happens to coincide with your passage of choice.

5. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Keener's new like two volume one.
    Bock I think has one, as he has does a few on Luke.

6. KMK

KMK Administrator Staff Member

Peterson
    Marshall
    Alexander
    Calvin

7. Jonny.

Jonny. Puritan Board Freshman

I suppose it depends what you're hoping to use it for. Assuming you want something sizable for in-depth study, Bock is excellent.

8. reaganmarsh

reaganmarsh Puritan Board Senior

Many very good options already named. I picked up Stott's BST volume on Acts a while back. On the passages where I've consulted it, I've found it helpful (but I'm biased; Stott is one of my all-time favorites).

9. Frosty

Frosty Puritan Board Sophomore

Can't answer your question, but it's been on my mind as we just received Sproul's commentary for free (donation to Ligonier Ministries), and I am moving into Acts next.

Paying attention to others comments!

10. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

The ones that have been mentioned are all excellent. I would say that Keener's commentary is only for the really serious pastor/scholar. 3 Volumes out of 4 have been published, and each one is over 1,000 extremely large pages. If you have the time to read it, it will pay rich dividends. Also, it seems important to mention Barrett's very fine commentary in the ICC series (very expensive, and not the most conservative commentary on the planet, but many fine comments nevertheless). Witherington (an Arminian) has a very good commentary as well. Peterson, Thomas, Sproul, Calvin, Lloyd-Jones, Alexander, Bock, Stott, and Marshall, will be the most important for Reformed pastors, and then supplement with the ones I have mentioned, if the pastor wants more.

11. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritan Board Doctor

I found Schnabel's commentary (in the ZECNT series) to be exceptionally well-done. More so than some of the ones mentioned in previous posts that are labeled as being very good.

12. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Puritan Board Sophomore

Not a commentary, but The Visual Bible Acts is well done. For some groups watching 10 minutes at a time then going in-depth and discussing might be a good approach, depending on the purpose and group.

13. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

I don't know why I forgot Schnabel. He is one of the foremost experts on early church history (his 2-volume history of early church missions is spectacular). Good call, Ben.

14. Shawn Mathis

Thanks all for the bountiful answers. Any comments on Rackham? Baker edition, found it free a while back.

15. reaganmarsh

reaganmarsh Puritan Board Senior

I'm not familiar with Rackham...

It did occur to me, however, that one other option is the Reformation Commentary on Scripture http://www.ivpress.com/series/rcs/index2.php?540-17-1877%20RCS though I know some on the PB have mixed views as to that series' usefulness. The Acts volume came out this year.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  16. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

17. Rev. Todd Ruddell

Rev. Todd Ruddell Puritan Board Junior

Don't forget the Life and epistles of St. Paul by Conybeare & Howson, and its interaction with Acts.

18. Shawn Mathis

Ah, yes, almost did forget about Conybeare/Howson. Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.