Recommended sermons/commentaries on Acts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin-commentary, Sermons on Acts 1-7
Derek Thomas - Acts - in the Reformed Expository Commentary series
Acts Commentary (sermon-like) - RC Sproul

Good places to start

I suppose it depends what you're hoping to use it for. Assuming you want something sizable for in-depth study, Bock is excellent.

Many very good options already named. I picked up Stott's BST volume on Acts a while back. On the passages where I've consulted it, I've found it helpful (but I'm biased; Stott is one of my all-time favorites).

Can't answer your question, but it's been on my mind as we just received Sproul's commentary for free (donation to Ligonier Ministries), and I am moving into Acts next.

Paying attention to others comments!

The ones that have been mentioned are all excellent. I would say that Keener's commentary is only for the really serious pastor/scholar. 3 Volumes out of 4 have been published, and each one is over 1,000 extremely large pages. If you have the time to read it, it will pay rich dividends. Also, it seems important to mention Barrett's very fine commentary in the ICC series (very expensive, and not the most conservative commentary on the planet, but many fine comments nevertheless). Witherington (an Arminian) has a very good commentary as well. Peterson, Thomas, Sproul, Calvin, Lloyd-Jones, Alexander, Bock, Stott, and Marshall, will be the most important for Reformed pastors, and then supplement with the ones I have mentioned, if the pastor wants more.

I found Schnabel's commentary (in the ZECNT series) to be exceptionally well-done. More so than some of the ones mentioned in previous posts that are labeled as being very good.

Not a commentary, but The Visual Bible Acts is well done. For some groups watching 10 minutes at a time then going in-depth and discussing might be a good approach, depending on the purpose and group.

I found Schnabel's commentary (in the ZECNT series) to be exceptionally well-done. More so than some of the ones mentioned in previous posts that are labeled as being very good.

I don't know why I forgot Schnabel. He is one of the foremost experts on early church history (his 2-volume history of early church missions is spectacular). Good call, Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back