Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Fentiman

Puritan Board Sophomore
As the whole of the Lord’s Day is to be set apart unto the immediate service of the Lord and spiritual duties, apart from necessities, so Isa. 58:13-14 says that:

“If thou turn away thy foot from… doing thy pleasure on my holy day… Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord…”​

Hence Westminster Confession, ch. 21, section 8, rightly forbids recreations on the Lord’s Day. Finally, here is a webpage of puritan resources expounding this topic in detail.

It will also be noticed that many of the Westminster divines themselves, in consistency with their intention in the WCF, allow for necessary refreshments and recreations that energize one for, and are consistent with, holy exercises. See especially the quotes by the puritan divine, George Walker.

I was just talking with my wife the other day about the purpose of sabbath. Did the sabbath evolve into a day of worship? When was it formally instituted? Wasn't it just a day of rest to begin with? I know I'm throwing a lot out there for one post, but it has been several years since I read 'Call the Sabbath a Delight' by Chantry. I really need to revisit this doctrine. Any insight would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back