Reformation Day 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guido's Brother

Puritan Board Junior
For those in the Fraser Valley area of British Columbia and NW Washington state:

Reformation Day 2007

On October 31, 2007, you're invited to join us for a celebration of God's faithfulness during the Reformation. Rev. Daniel R. Hyde (pastor of the Oceanside United Reformed Church in Oceanside, CA) will be speaking on "Being a Pentecost Church in an Age of Pentecostalism." Rev. Hyde is the author of Jesus Loves the Little Children: Why We Baptize Children (Reformed Fellowship), The Good Confession: An Exploration of the Christian Faith (Wipf & Stock), What to Expect in Reformed Worship: A Visitors' Guide (Wipf & Stock), as well as forthcoming titles With Heart and Mouth: An Exposition of the Belgic Confession (Reformed Fellowship), God With Us: Knowing the Mystery of Who Jesus Is (Reformation Heritage Books), and In Living Color: Pastoral Counsel on Images of Christ (Reformed Fellowship). The evening will also feature a time of Psalm and hymn singing. A collection will be taken to defray the costs.

Please plan to join us at the Emmanuel Free Reformed Church, 3300 Mt. Lehman Rd, Abbotsford at 8:00 PM.

Well for those of us not conveniently located in that area. Does anyone else celebrate Reformation Day? And if so what are some good ways to celebrate? Are there any particular traditions to celebrating it? Because I'd like to observe it in some way this year :pilgrim:

Rev. Daniel R. Hyde (pastor of the Oceanside United Reformed Church in Oceanside, CA) will be speaking on "Being a Pentecost Church in an Age of Pentecostalism."

I would like to either read or hear this sermon. Is there an opportunity for that to happen?

Well for those of us not conveniently located in that area. Does anyone else celebrate Reformation Day? And if so what are some good ways to celebrate? Are there any particular traditions to celebrating it? Because I'd like to observe it in some way this year :pilgrim:

:ditto:

Rev. Daniel R. Hyde (pastor of the Oceanside United Reformed Church in Oceanside, CA) will be speaking on "Being a Pentecost Church in an Age of Pentecostalism."

I would like to either read or hear this sermon. Is there an opportunity for that to happen?

The evening will be recorded and I'm going to try and make sure that it is available on-line at our church website. I'll post the info here when it's available.

If you can handle a little humor, the Old Lutheran web site posted the following:

Reformation Day Ideas
Ideas for your very own Reformation Day celebration...

Make a "Diet of Worms Cake" and bring it to your office or school - recipe found here.

Have a "Baptismal Apple Dunk"

Run a "Law and Gospel Shuffle Relay"

Create a "Fishers of Men" Fishing Pond

Do a "Defeat the Devil Ball Toss"

Play "Pin the 95 Theses on the Wittenberg Door"

Run a "Throw Indulgences in the Trash" relay

Find a storyteller to tell of the events of Luther’s life!

Have a costume party – everyone dress up as their favorite reformation personality.

Have a special showing of the Movie "Luther" at church or in your home!

Present this skit on Luther that was written by Joan Peery.

:lol:

Now, seriously, I am also looking forward to hearing the message by Dr. Hyde.

If you can handle a little humor, the Old Lutheran web site posted the following:

Reformation Day Ideas
Ideas for your very own Reformation Day celebration...

Make a "Diet of Worms Cake" and bring it to your office or school - recipe found here.

Have a "Baptismal Apple Dunk"

Run a "Law and Gospel Shuffle Relay"

Create a "Fishers of Men" Fishing Pond

Do a "Defeat the Devil Ball Toss"

Play "Pin the 95 Theses on the Wittenberg Door"

Run a "Throw Indulgences in the Trash" relay

Find a storyteller to tell of the events of Luther’s life!

Have a costume party – everyone dress up as their favorite reformation personality.

Have a special showing of the Movie "Luther" at church or in your home!

Present this skit on Luther that was written by Joan Peery.

:lol:

Now, seriously, I am also looking forward to hearing the message by Dr. Hyde.

Those ideas are awesome! Thankfully Reformation Day falls on the same day as my weekly bible study, so I may employ some of these :banana:

During my studies at Presbyterian Theological Seminary, at Dehra Doon, I learned the importance of Reformation day. The Seminary planned debate, Bible reading competetion, Movie show (Martin Luther saying Here I stand and I can not recant). And finally since it is also our principal Dr. M. Chacko Birth Day, so we had Birthday celebration, ending the Day with a PTS family dinner. I miss that celebration.

The evening will be recorded and I'm going to try and make sure that it is available on-line at our church website. I'll post the info here when it's available.

Somehow or another I plan to make the text available as well, whether on the web as a .pdf, as a booklet, or an article somewhere.

Does anyone know where I can get one of those Hats Calvin and Knox wore? They kinda look like a portobello mushroom of some sorts. I would so much love to wear one. Is it some sort of Pileus Rotundus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back