Reformation Study Bible - ESV or NKJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabee

Obi Wan Kenobi
I've heard so many people gush over the ESV Study Bible that I finally got one when Ligonier was giving them away for a donation. I hadn't looked at it carefully until this morning.

So, what's the difference? Perhaps this has been addressed before, but it looks like the same thing as the Reformation Bible that I have in the NKJV. It says "Reformation Bible" on it, so is it not the ESV Study Bible? Anybody add a little clarity for me?

The ESV Reformation Study Bible and ESV Study Bible are two different things. As far as the Reformation Study Bible goes, there are minimal differences between the ESV and NKJV. The NKJV one is published by Nelson. The notes are the same as the ESV. The ESV has two columns and larger print.

Thanks Andy,

I was just noticing on the ESV site that it's different. Hmmm, guess I didn't really need to buy this ESV Reformation Bible. It's a nice Bible though. I'll have to watch for a deal on the ESV Study Bible then.

In my neck of the woods, it's much harder to find the ESV version than the NKJV version of the Reformation Study Bible. The Christian bookstores that carry it seemed to only carry the NKJV version, but I was looking for one in the ESV. Ironically, I finally stumbled across one while wandering through Borders and snatched it up.

As for why I didn't just order an ESV one directly from Ligonier, my memory is that the shipping charges they would charge to send it to Hawaii were a deal-breaker, because when added to their "donation" price it was more than what they were selling for in the local bookstores.

Last edited:
I have a NKJV Reformation Study Bible; my wife has an ESV Reformation Study Bible. They are different primarily in choice of translation.

The ESV Study Bible, is a HUGE production that is about 700 pages longer than any existing study Bible available in English. It is worthy of the gushing if you prefer the ESV.

I have the ESV Study Bible but do NOT carry it due to its size and bulk. And, while many good Reformed people participated in the ESV Study Bible, it is not as uniformly Reformed as the Reformation Study Bible. The Reformation Study Bible, on the other hand, is a collection of wonderful Reformed notes and almost the entirety of Packer's Concise Theology, lightly edited and broken into almost 100 boxed sidebars and sections scattered throughout the Bible (but helpfully indexed in the table of contents).

So, when I teach my class on Sundays, my "Calvin Rocks" messenger bag is loaded with both a Reformation Study Bible (NKJV) and an UBS4 Greek Testament.

I have both and the quality of the ESV Version over the NKJV Version is night and day.The ESV hands down.

I have both and prefer the NKJV to the ESV Reformation Study Bible.

Here is my Calvin Rocks messenger bag. http://shop.cafepress.com/calvin-rocks

CalvinRocks.jpg

I have both and prefer the NKJV to the ESV Reformation Study Bible.

Here is my Calvin Rocks messenger bag. Calvin Rocks T-Shirts, sweatshirts, shirts, bumper stickers & gifts - CafePress

CalvinRocks.jpg
Ordered one of those tonight. As my son says, "kewl".

AMR

-----Added 6/6/2009 at 04:06:45 EST-----

NKJV over ESV any day.
Indeed!

Took me some time to find to the NKJV of the Reformation Study Bible, but I managed to snag a used version that was in mint condition.

AMR

Ligonier has them . . . in stock . . . in genuine leather . . . for $63.99.
https://store.ligonier.org/products...ichpage=1&action.x=0&action.y=0&action=search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back