Reformation Study Bible vs. ESV Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennywigg

Puritan Board Freshman
As a new Presbyterian, I'm a little paranoid about the commentaries and other extra-biblical sources I read, now that I'm reading the Bible from a brand-new perspective. I'm hesitant to trust a commentary or other source for fear it may lead me into some crazy theology! So, here's my question: Hubby and I are planning to buy individual commentaries as we work our way through the Bible, but we'd also like to have the RSB or the ESVSB or (eventually) both. Since we can only buy one at a time, I'm wondering which one to buy first. Are there any major differences between the two?

Last edited:
My preference would be the RSB for the new Presbyterian, and a PCA member. R.C. Sproul is the RSB editor and a PCA member, like yourself. The notes and 100 special theological topics in the RSB explicitly Reformed, whereas the ESVSB tries at times to maintain a balance that would appeal to a larger audience. The RSB is also less expensive that the ESV, too.

AMR

Yeah I don't believe that the ESV is cessationist or holds to covenant theology, but as far as the doctrines of grace go I think they are solid.

The Reformation Study Bible is excellent.

I am currently reading and studying the Reformation Study Bible. I have been a Presbyterian now for a few years and have been taking Bible courses in the Presbyterian church I go to. I wish I had had the Reformation Study Bible when I started reading the Bible and when I first became a Presbyterian and was a new convert to the Reformed Protestant Faith. I would recommend the Reformation Bible as the first Bible to get and begin with if you are new to the Reformed faith and Presbyterianism. It is an excellent Bible and will give you sound footing and understanding of scripture as it should be read with from the Reformed perspective and solid and sound guidance on the reading of the scripture. The Reformation Study Bible is excellent.

I have both. I personally lean upon the ESVSB's notes more often nowadays, but the RSB was quite helpful for me when it first came out (2003 or so), as I was a new-ish Calvinist at that point.

See if you can find a hardback Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible on Albiris.com or one of the secondhand book shops. It is an NIV first cousin to the RSB, has a bit more material, and has the creeds bound in the back, which are cross referenced to the text. It is out of print. NIB leather ones go for $600 and up on the secondhand market, but you can still get a clean used hardback for $60 or so.

I was looking at getting one of these myself. I'm leaning toward the ESV since I'm more of a Calvinistic Baptist rather than a Reformed Presbyterian. Since you are PCA, I would go with the RSB first.

Different books for different needs.

RSB has Packer's wonderful comments from his Concise Theology sprinkled throughout the volume in boxed sidebars. The comments are sparser than the ESV Study Bible, but solid and uniformly Reformed (without a perceived need to be "balanced"). The ESV Study Bible is HUGE and a bit unwieldy (in my opinion).

Purchase the RSB now and use it for home study and church use. When funds permit, obtain an ESV Study Bible and keep it at home for reference.

My suggestion: pick up a nice leather copy of the RSB and the LEAST expensive hardback versin of the ESV Study Bible. That way you will have a church Bible and the benefits of the content of the ESV Study Bible. You can also obtain the ESV Study Bible notes in a variety of digital formats for your computer.

I'd go with the RSB as a Presbyterian, also you can subscribe to Renewing your Mind with R.C. Sproul for FREE (!) on iTunes.

See if you can find a hardback Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible on Albiris.com or one of the secondhand book shops. It is an NIV first cousin to the RSB, has a bit more material, and has the creeds bound in the back, which are cross referenced to the text. It is out of print. NIB leather ones go for $600 and up on the secondhand market, but you can still get a clean used hardback for $60 or so.

I concur. It is also now available (or will soon be available) in electronic format--Kindle, etc. Check Amazon and CBD.

If you decide to get the RSB, I would get the second edition which added color maps in the back I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back