Reformation Study Bible vs. The Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
The English Language is good for business purposes, the German for War, and the Latin to speak to God (Popular Spanish Remark).

If we argue that English is the 'vulgar' then why don't we use something even more pure like Chaucer English or Beowolf English... why go for such a watered down modern form like Elizabethan?

There was a time when the western world spoke Latin and the Vugate would have been fine- but the Papists made an idol out of their translation... should we do that with the AV, or should we give the people the Bible in their language?

It sure sounds like someone wants to start a debate...

I am not a big "fan" of Study Bibles. I would rather have my King Jimmy and a Matt Henry commentary set!:2cents: I kick it old school!:cool:

I agree about English and German. But, why would anyone try speaking in Latin to God? Don't they know he put the Gospel into GREEK, not Latin? Latin was for corrupt political types, effete elites, and PB scholarly wannabees. "Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!" :lol::lol::lol:

I agree about English and German. But, why would anyone try speaking in Latin to God? Don't they know he put the Gospel into GREEK, not Latin. Latin was for corrupt political types, effete elites, and PB scholarly wannabees? "Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!" :lol::lol::lol:

Well, it's all Greek to me...even English sometimes.

I agree about English and German. But, why would anyone try speaking in Latin to God? Don't they know he put the Gospel into GREEK, not Latin? Latin was for corrupt political types, effete elites, and PB scholarly wannabees. "Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!" :lol::lol::lol:

It has more to do with the Western Church and the Holy Roman Empire, when there was a time in the church (western church primarily) when theologians, teachers, bishops, etc. wrote in Latin. A good example is Martin Luther thesis which he wrote in Latin.

Well, after much consideration, I have ordered a copy of the SRSB. The NIV is not my favorite translation (I guess there ARE much worse out there), but it is what is being used at the parish I am serving in. After reading some of posts here, I am very attracted to the idea of the additional features and better notes the SRSB has over the RSB (which I have a copy of as well).

finally bit the bullet

Ok, after reading the favorable reviews here and elsewhere, I decided to go ahead and buy a SRSB.

All I have to say is wow...

I owned the New Geneva at one time and bought a RSB last year. I have to admit that even with it being and NIV (which isn't necessarily a bad translation, its just that there are better) it surpasses both the NGSB and the RSB - seems to have more of everything.

now I REALLY wish Zondervan would come out with a NASB version!

Last edited:
I don't wish to debate this topic, but I would suggest reading one of the many threads dedicated to your point. May I just point out that your comment does not necessarily resolve all disputes on the matter.

In our case the vulgar tongue is English. The Geneva and AV are both translated into English and English in its finest and most accurate form regardless of who may be literate or illiterate - it is proper and recognized English. "Vulgar" as used by the authors of our confessions, does not mean slang or dumbed down English simply because the vast majority of the English speaking population has failed in speaking or understanding the English tongue.

Not wanting to debate either, but I will only ask one question in response: Can you name a single, living person who speaks King James English?

And, just so you know, I don't think either of us were saying our comments resolve any disputes, only that we both agree on this point, which is why we use modern translations like the NKJV.

Again, not wanting to debate, just wanting to clarify (and ask a rhetorical question). :p

I am not a "King James onliest" but use it and the Geneva Bible out of preference. Surprisingly, I find that the Geneva is much more readable than I expected and I love the notes by the original Reformers.

These two Bibles have been around for 399 and 409 years, respectively, and up until a few decades ago were the only game in town. During the early years of this country overall literacy was at a much higher level than it is at present - people read and were able to UNDERSTAND what they read. Almost every home had a copy of the KJV, Pilgrim's Progress, and sometimes, Shakespeare. Even though the Bible was written in an archaic form people didn't run around spouting "thee's" and "thou's" in their speech, except, of course, the Quakers! I find that a familiarity with King James/Geneva English promotes an easier understanding of Shakespeare, Spenser, and the Puritan writers, although Owen is still a bear to read!!! :lol::lol:

Fast forward to our modern era - overall literacy is down, people, in general, simply don't read any more - education has been so dumbed down that they are incapable of reading, much less understanding, the English of the KJV and the Geneva Bible. New "translations" are coming out all the time, most merely paraphrases - and each is progressively more casual and more "vulgar" in its tone. At this rate how long will it be until the "message bible" is deemed to be too advanced to be understandable?

How could Zondervan publish theirs when the list of contributors is the same from both?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Margaret

I don't know what the legal intricacies are. Luder Whitlock was involved in both, but Sproul and Ligonier were not involved in the SRSB but Third millennium Ministries (Pratt, Frame and McLaughlin) were. The contributors are the same, but that is because the SRSB started with the original NGSB notes, but they have been extensively revised in some cases and are much more thorough. The editorial team (Thirdmill) is different too.

Does anyone know why the SOTR Bible has not been made available in a translation that is acceptable to Reformed people?
$$$$$! It's all about sales. They don't think it'll sell with a different translation and that's to bad. I'd surely buy one!

I have both, but in a strange way. I have SRSB in print, and the RSB electronically in Logos. This works for me because I also have WCF, and the other confessions in Logos, and they keylinked by verse.

I think I bought mine on the Ligonier website a year ago or so

Although I agree it is very handy and nice to have the creeds and confessions in the back of the SOTR Bible, I find myself almost never using it because it is NIV which I try not to use, especially for studying.
I got the NKJV New Geneva Study Bible about a year ago which I really like (because of the version). Mind you, this was the version I believe the other two were based off of...why not get the original (or all three).

Know a good place to buy this? The only place I could find was Amazon.

I looked again today on the Ligonier site but I think all they are selling now is the new version.

Just FYI, while I know distributors are running out of the hardback versions of the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, there is also an electronic version available: It is from a company called Laridian Software. I got a copy from them..it is a book on their Pocket Bible program which is available for Windows, Windows Mobile and Palm Pilot (and probably some other OSes also)... I have the windows version running in a virtual box in Linux and the Palm Pilot version on my Palm T/X.

Here's a thread from the Thirdmill discussion board on the SRSB and the possibility of it coming out in different translations:

SRSB - General Discussion - Third Millennium Discussion Groups - Third Millennium Ministries Discussion Forums - Message Board - Yuku

This one goes into a lot more detail about the origin of the project:

Speaking of Covenant Theology - General Discussion - Third Millennium Discussion Groups - Third Millennium Ministries Discussion Forums - Message Board - Yuku

In another thread Ra discusses their use of the NIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back