Reformation Symphony

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never heard his Reformation symphony, but I do dig his hebrides overture and his scottish symphony in A minor.

I'll have to get a copy and listen. The thing with Mendelsohhn is that he strikes me as a composer of great talent but little vision. Only some of his works I can enjoy, the above plus his e minor violin concerto. I heard his Elijah and St. Paul Oratorios are good, but I am not motivated to invest the money in them.

oops I detected a phrase in the opening theme, that is quite similar to Bruckner's theme in the slow movement of his 8th symphony. Seems like Mendelsohn influence was great or it was a mere coincidence.

Yep, a great composer in his own right. My favorite of his works are his e minor violin concerto, Scottish Symphony and his Hebrides Overture.

Yes, I've heard this before and it was excellent. Isn't there a section where he uses the melody from Luther's A Mighty Fortress?

Brian

Originally posted by cultureshock
Yes, I've heard this before and it was excellent. Isn't there a section where he uses the melody from Luther's A Mighty Fortress?

Brian

Yes, it's the highlight of the symphony! :sing:

I've heard it before... it's quite awesome.

And yes, the tune to A Mighty Fortress is played.

There is also a catholic melody played in I believe it's the fourth movement --sorry, going off the old memory of some program notes.

All of Mendelssohn's Symphonies are excellent and if you are looking for a good recording of the Reformation symphony i reccomend John Eliot Gardiner's recoring with the Vienna Philharmonic, which is in my opinion is the world's greatest orhestra.

mendelssohn3.gif

One of my favorite musical compositions is Felix Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 5, otherwise known as the Reformation Symphony.

The world, I think, owes him quite a debt. He revived interest in the music of J.S. Bach.

Except that many of the folks of his generation didn't understand Bach too well. Mendelssohn actually wrote piano parts to Bach's sonatas and partitas for solo violin because he thought that music actually had piano parts originally, but that they were lost. He didn't understand that that music is played solo. But, as you say, he DID revive interest in 'ol Johann.

Makes for great listening here at the clinic where I work. Makes the lab a less boring place.

Thanks for posting the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back