Reformed African American audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I appreciate the conversation and, as a PCA elder, I know many of the men you are talking about and consider them to be solid men.
I'm open to dialog but I think Tyrese's sweeping generalizations are sometimes the things that are done by many who are talking about the "White Church" who are focused on racial reconciliation. There is some very extreme language that emerges and a sort of assumption that there is a monolithic way to look at issues and people.
I've seen a strange tendency among younger TE's now to doubt their ability to communicate with others unless they know the history of people. There's become a sort of way to do exegesis now that requires "voices" from differing racial or gender perspectives. It's becoming strangely mainstream. It's not quite the "let's deconstruct the European patriarchy because every voice is valid" but it comes close to that idea at times.
One thing that has been gnawing at me lately is sort of the breadth ofthe world itself. I sometimes wonder if some people are so focused on a provincial context that "all {fill in the color} people are like" that they seem totally unaware of how truly diverse the world really is. Trying to even pin down all Chinese people neglects the profound cultural and language diversity among people that otherwise might look the same. Go to Belgium and you'll see two different languages and cultures that can't agree on key things in government.
I was on my way to dinner at GA and others in the car were saying "white people are like..." and I said: "Who, the French, the Russians, the British, a Hillbilly, a New Yorker?"
Look at the country of Rwanda and the deep divisions over tribal affinities. You just can't peg a person based on his color.
It's not that I don't to acknowledge the plight of black people and others in the history of the US. I do! I recognize years of putting on masks and opportunities not afforded to others. I recognize that there was even theology that (in a twisted way) caused men to act toward others in ways they thought were helpful.
I don't know if I'm making any sense but I see Elders starting to get really caught up in the complexity of trying to figure out if their way of viewing the world is clouding their entire ability to understand the Word of God while other men are almost seen as saying: "...we see it clearly because we come from X-colored perspective."
Yet, given the incredible cultural, religious, regional, and tribal diversities that exist across the globe we are hopelessly lost if we think that the key to understanding how to reconcile men to one another is having a bead on what make "x-colored" people tick.
We just need to get to know people. We can't rely upon our own experiences as a grid for how we can bin folks but just be wiling to take men for who they are and learn something about them.
But with respect to culture, we all have to meet at the Cross. I believe the Scriptures are clear enough for Who God is and what duty God requires of men for it to correct whatver our culture or background is teaching us otherwise. I need not study every culture in order to get that right.
I hope that makes sense.

Gents,

I appreciate the conversation and, as a PCA elder, I know many of the men you are talking about and consider them to be solid men.
I'm open to dialog but I think Tyrese's sweeping generalizations are sometimes the things that are done by many who are talking about the "White Church" who are focused on racial reconciliation. There is some very extreme language that emerges and a sort of assumption that there is a monolithic way to look at issues and people.
I've seen a strange tendency among younger TE's now to doubt their ability to communicate with others unless they know the history of people. There's become a sort of way to do exegesis now that requires "voices" from differing racial or gender perspectives. It's becoming strangely mainstream. It's not quite the "let's deconstruct the European patriarchy because every voice is valid" but it comes close to that idea at times.
One thing that has been gnawing at me lately is sort of the breadth ofthe world itself. I sometimes wonder if some people are so focused on a provincial context that "all {fill in the color} people are like" that they seem totally unaware of how truly diverse the world really is. Trying to even pin down all Chinese people neglects the profound cultural and language diversity among people that otherwise might look the same. Go to Belgium and you'll see two different languages and cultures that can't agree on key things in government.
I was on my way to dinner at GA and others in the car were saying "white people are like..." and I said: "Who, the French, the Russians, the British, a Hillbilly, a New Yorker?"
Look at the country of Rwanda and the deep divisions over tribal affinities. You just can't peg a person based on his color.
It's not that I don't to acknowledge the plight of black people and others in the history of the US. I do! I recognize years of putting on masks and opportunities not afforded to others. I recognize that there was even theology that (in a twisted way) caused men to act toward others in ways they thought were helpful.
I don't know if I'm making any sense but I see Elders starting to get really caught up in the complexity of trying to figure out if their way of viewing the world is clouding their entire ability to understand the Word of God while other men are almost seen as saying: "...we see it clearly because we come from X-colored perspective."
Yet, given the incredible cultural, religious, regional, and tribal diversities that exist across the globe we are hopelessly lost if we think that the key to understanding how to reconcile men to one another is having a bead on what make "x-colored" people tick.
We just need to get to know people. We can't rely upon our own experiences as a grid for how we can bin folks but just be wiling to take men for who they are and learn something about them.
But with respect to culture, we all have to meet at the Cross. I believe the Scriptures are clear enough for Who God is and what duty God requires of men for it to correct whatver our culture or background is teaching us otherwise. I need not study every culture in order to get that right.
I hope that makes sense.

Great post! I definitely try my best not to make generalizations, but unfortunately we all tend to interpret the actions of others (or lack therof) through our own lens. I grew up in a suburban community, I was raised by both Mom and Dad, Mom was for the most part a stay at home Mom, rap music and slang would get me grounded, and so on and so forth. Now I have my own family and we operate pretty much the same way I was raised. So when I hear slang in the pulpit and references to rap music, I get the idea that brothers think we're all from 'the streets.' I think generalizations are being made across the board. Like our brother said, we have to get to know one another.

A friend of mine who's also black will be preaching at his Church called Reformation Bible Church in Darlington MD. Reformation Bible is VERY Reformed and I can't wait to hear my friend preach. I believe he'll be preaching in the evening on August 26. It'll be broadcasted live on sermonaudio, but of course I'll be there.

Here's a link to Reformation Bible Church: http://www.reformationbiblechurch.org/

I didn't know whether to Like or Laugh at your last post because it was funny in a charming way. One of the finest officers who ever worked for me was a black man who I consider a good friend to this day. I take that back, he was the most impressive I ever served with. Period. Raised by two military parents. Charismatic. Smart. Compassionate. Like most military children he had a different upbringing but could also move in and around most people with ease.
I know better than to assume because I have a friend like Steve (or many others) that I know what it is to be a black man in America. I'm just privileged that I have him as a friend.

We can meet over coffee, lunch, dinner, or beer (if you are so inclined), whenever and wherever is most convenient for you, all on my dime. This is just how important I think it is for brothers to dwell together in unity, and for us to have some face-to-face interaction
This is awesome ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back