Reformed Baptist Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoutheticCounselor

Puritan Board Freshman
I absolutely love the Newport Commentary series by Particular Baptist Press. Can anyone recommend any other commentaries that approach the Scriptures from a Particular/Reformed Baptist perspective?

Thanks!

the Newport Commentary series by Particular Baptist Press.

I'm slow, so I offer my apologies in advance; but I'm unfamiliar with this series. Are you able to provide more information, or a link?

To your OP:

If you're willing to classify Bunyan as a Baptist, his exposition of Gen 1-11 is good. You may also consider Pink's Studies in the Scriptures, which are a series of expositions through various books of the Bible. Haldane (he was a Baptist, wasn't he? I'm drawing a blank) on Romans is helpful, too.

We don't have many RB writing theologians...

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend any other commentaries that approach the Scriptures from a Particular/Reformed Baptist perspective?
It appears that not only can someone do so, but a few have; ergo, I answer in the affirmative, and hope this adequately exhausts your inquiry! :pilgrim:

Thomas Schreiner, among moderns, is usually good. His Romans commentary could use an updating, as he changed his position on imputation (in a good direction) after he wrote the commentary. But he has commentaries on many other books of the Bible as well, and they are excellent.

Thomas Schreiner, among moderns, is usually good. His Romans commentary could use an updating, as he changed his position on imputation (in a good direction) after he wrote the commentary. But he has commentaries on many other books of the Bible as well, and they are excellent.
tenor.gif

j/k

Schreiner's comm on Galatians was solid as well. You see his move on imputation visibly there.

Allow me to preface my next statement with this, I have not read Schreiner myself. However, I see his name yoked up with New Covenant Theology via Google and other less than trustworthy sources. Is there any truth to that?

*Edit: I mentioned Poole and Henry... Probably doesn't apply to OP.

Allow me to preface my next statement with this, I have not read Schreiner myself. However, I see his name yoked up with New Covenant Theology via Google and other less than trustworthy sources. Is there any truth to that?

*Edit: I mentioned Poole and Henry... Probably doesn't apply to OP.

He is definitely a NCT guy, but he's also a solid 5-pointer and an excellent exegete. One's view of the covenants matters, but don't write him off strictly over that.

He is definitely a NCT guy, but he's also a solid 5-pointer and an excellent exegete. One's view of the covenants matters, but don't write him off strictly over that.

Thank you for clarifying, as I said, I was only slightly aware of a connection there.

Is it permissible to recommend a commentary by a man who would put forth a theology that would bar them from membership on this board? I assure you, this is an honest question.

And more to the point of the OP, does anyone know where John Gill's commentary could be found at a... "reprinted" price. (Read cheap.) I know it can be found electronically, but it would be nice to hold physically.

Thank you for clarifying, as I said, I was only slightly aware of a connection there.

Is it permissible to recommend a commentary by a man who would put forth a theology that would bar them from membership on this board? I assure you, this is an honest question.

And more to the point of the OP, does anyone know where John Gill's commentary could be found at a... "reprinted" price. (Read cheap.) I know it can be found electronically, but it would be nice to hold physically.

The Newport Commentary Series by Particular Baptist Press republishes his commentary on John.

http://www.pbpress.org/products/An-Exposition-of-the-Gospel-According-to-John.html

The Newport Commentary Series by Particular Baptist Press republishes his commentary on Genesis.

http://www.pbpress.org/products/An-Exposition-of-the-First-Book-of-Moses-called-Genesis.html

Is it permissible to recommend a commentary by a man who would put forth a theology that would bar them from membership on this board?

In general, yes. Technically speaking, men like Augustine, Luther, and Calvin could not be members of this board since they did not subscribe to the Reformed confessions.

However, it would be out of bounds to advocate for a specific teaching that contradicts the confessions. By advocating for a commentary in general is different than advocating for a specific doctrine in said commentary.

I like Schriener as well, but I believe he has also switched to Historic Premil as well. Correct me if I am wrong.

D. A. Carson has some good stuff.

John Gill might have been also a Hyper-Calvinist on some regards, so would that disqualify him also?

Think that we can profit and use materials from others even if they do not 100% agree with us in all areas of doctrine, as long as we agree on the essentials of the Christian Faith.

John Gill might have been also a Hyper-Calvinist on some regards, so would that disqualify him also?

Think that we can profit and use materials from others even if they do not 100% agree with us in all areas of doctrine, as long as we agree on the essentials of the Christian Faith.

I'm not sure about Gill. I've heard good things about him, but also the claim of Hyper-Calvinism. I've never read into that to be sure.

Your statement above about being in 100% agreement makes it sound as though the differences are minute. That will vary by case.

Regarding my question about recommending certain works, Ken has been kind enough to explain that it is permissible. Thank you Ken.

Personally, I would not recommend any NCT authors. See Board rule 3b for reasoning.

This has been covered elsewhere, my apologies to the OP for derailing.

I'm not sure about Gill. I've heard good things about him, but also the claim of Hyper-Calvinism. I've never read into that to be sure.

Your statement above about being in 100% agreement makes it sound as though the differences are minute. That will vary by case.

Regarding my question about recommending certain works, Ken has been kind enough to explain that it is permissible. Thank you Ken.

Personally, I would not recommend any NCT authors. See Board rule 3b for reasoning.

This has been covered elsewhere, my apologies to the OP for derailing.
When I say disagreements, it would be in the areas such as Eschatology, but not in areas such as how to view the scriptures regarding inspiration/inerrancy, as that would be an area where have to agree..
I do not agree with the NCT on how they view the Law and its relationship to us now, but that author listed does have some fine books he has written, if we can separate the peculiar views on that issue out from the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back