Reformed Baptist in a PCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
See I am not fully convinced of credobaptism yet.

All the more reason to give the PCA congregation a hard look. The best way to understand paedobaptism is to be part of a church that practices and cherishes it.

one of the many reasons why i want to visit.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I typically find a good church and stick with it. If it has to be arminian like it was this year in college I stick with it. Although it killed me lol.

You youngsters cannot imagine what it was like finding a good church within 30 minutes from home before the internet...[/QUOTE]

I really couldnt lol. Their are so many churches I would have visited and hated. Also so many good churches that I would have never visited but loved.

All the more reason to give the PCA congregation a hard look. The best way to understand paedobaptism is to be part of a church that practices and cherishes it.

Yes, if you want to grasp a better understanding of paedobaptism and reformed theology then the PCA would be a good place to visit. Although like was mention earlier there are some PCA churches that are confessional and some that are not. However, if you decide that you don't agree with paedobaptism then you should really consider some where else. I personally have a problem allowing membership to baptist in and presbyterian church. By all means they can attend, but not have membership.

I think typically, non-paedeobaptists can join PCA churches if they vow to submit to the authority and to promote the purity and peace of the church. In other words, I wouldn't join a PCA church being a baptist and try to convert them over to being credo. We have many baptist folks in our church, who are members. They submit to the teaching on baptism, although they aren't in agreement. The other day we had a believer's baptism and it was wonderful.

Yes.

Studying the "peace and purity" vow relats to peaceably studying the doctrine of the church (which is its unity).

Since infant baptisms are performed as ordinances of the church in the ordinary course of corporate worship, someone with a strong conviction otherwise is going to have difficulty maintaining their submission. Add to that, part of the ordinance is the congregation taking vows to receive and help the infant be raised in community in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Consistent with a church "confessing" doctrine, and it being the basis of her unity, I would not set an expectation that someone who is a confirmed believer's only baptism can join and remain so with no intention to reconsider. For example, that person could not become an officer, ever. They could not teach or promote that doctrine.

So, realistically, at minimum, the person needs to be open to considering and earnestly so, the confessed doctrine of the church.

And you are right- it is often not noted, PCA churches do believer's baptism also. So on a given Lord's Day, one could see both an infant baptised based on the covenant promises and faith of the parents, as well as an adult by profession.

And, you are right again- it is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back