Reformed Church in Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulCLawton

Puritan Board Freshman
Would someone be able to reccomend a Reformed church in or near Buffalo, NY? I am here for the URCNA synod and got to talking to a security guard, and I would like to reccomend a church to him. I see Armor Bible Church (PCA) in Orchard Park, anyone have experience there?

There's a Bible Presbyterian Church on Grand Island that seems decent. Otherwise slip across the border to Niagara Falls URC or one of the CanRCs/URCs/FRCs in the Niagara peninsula.

There's a Bible Presbyterian Church on Grand Island that seems decent. Otherwise slip across the border to Niagara Falls URC or one of the CanRCs/URCs/FRCs in the Niagara peninsula.
Thank you for the first reccomendation, I had not noticed it there. As to the second, I don't think this American security guard attending a church north of the border would be a sustainable situation.

Would someone be able to reccomend a Reformed church in or near Buffalo, NY? I am here for the URCNA synod and got to talking to a security guard, and I would like to reccomend a church to him. I see Armor Bible Church (PCA) in Orchard Park, anyone have experience there?
Armor is an excellent church. I know their pastor, Jonathan Hunt, personally. He's done a wonderful job of shepherding that church in a solidly confessional direction.

Armor is probably the best generally confessional church in the Buffalo area. Bible Presbyterian on Grand Island is also an option. The BPC (as a denomination) is a bit quirky, but the pastor there (Kevin Backus) is very solid. There is also a PCA church plant I believe in the area. Finally, while it is EPC and not the most reformed church, I can personally vouch for Lancaster Presbyterian Church, where my wife's family attends.

Armor is probably the best generally confessional church in the Buffalo area. Bible Presbyterian on Grand Island is also an option. The BPC (as a denomination) is a bit quirky, but the pastor there (Kevin Backus) is very solid. There is also a PCA church plant I believe in the area. Finally, while it is EPC and not the most reformed church, I can personally vouch for Lancaster Presbyterian Church, where my wife's family attends.
This is very helpful. The evangelstic conversation I had with this young man was entirely at his initiative (knowing that we were at the convention centre for a religious event) and so I hope when I see him again later this week he will be open to attending one of the reccomended churches.

That church plant is Christ Central Buffalo.

I'm surprised there are relatively slim options in the 2nd largest city in New York!

I'm surprised there are relatively slim options in the 2nd largest city in New York!
Upstate New York is the "burned over district" and the heart of Finneyistic revival (we have a Charles Finney Christian School here in Rochester).

Having resided in Upstate NY most of my life, I can attest that it is a difficult area for thriving churches. Having lived in WNY for the past several years the lack of Reformed churches is palpable. Having had experience with both Lancaster and Armor, you will have to have a stomach for Barth with the former, and (un)biblical manhood and womanhood with the latter. While rumor has it that they are making application to the OPC, Armor has a ways to go before I would recommend it to a complete stranger. When I saw the URCNA synod scheduled for this area, I reached out to let them know there would be an interest should they consider planting a church in the Buffalo area.

I was going to suggest looking at the EPC churches there, but the Rev. Dr. Greco beat me to it. Lancaster looks to be in better shape than Knox which appears to have seen better days. Women deacons at Lancaster, which isn't a surprise for the EPC.

Having resided in Upstate NY most of my life, I can attest that it is a difficult area for thriving churches. Having lived in WNY for the past several years the lack of Reformed churches is palpable. Having had experience with both Lancaster and Armor, you will have to have a stomach for Barth with the former, and (un)biblical manhood and womanhood with the latter. While rumor has it that they are making application to the OPC, Armor has a ways to go before I would recommend it to a complete stranger. When I saw the URCNA synod scheduled for this area, I reached out to let them know there would be an interest should they consider planting a church in the Buffalo area.
Care to flesh out the bolded?

I don’t live in upstate at least that far up and I would say there is not a sound reformed church within a 50 mile radius of where I live (Kingston)
that’s why I drive 75 miles to New Jersey. It was fine when my wife was here because we could stay at the church in between services but she passed away in February. So now I am 65 and it’s difficult to be far from my church and church family and moving is not an option at the present time. I love our denomination. Anyway I hope the suggestions given will be of help to your friend.

To close I think/believe this if His people will hear His voice and turn maybe more churches would prosper. Am I any better spiritually since He sent the plague in 2020 or do I go to church and come home the way I left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back