Status
Not open for further replies.

Charismatic Calvinist

Puritan Board Freshman
Tsunamis, landslides, and lofty gas prices;
I've been looking for work for 6 weeks.
You're so freakin' sovereign!

manga396gx.gif

A Haiku is a Japanese poem composed of three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables.

I like the idea, Chuck, but the last line is problematic to me. It sounds like you're using a euphemism for the 'f' word. (No offense intended, brother, but that's what it sounds like to me.)

Otherwise, I can relate very much to the point of the poem, which is to acknowledge God's sovereignty over disasters and personal travails.

Keep workin' on it! My :2cents:

[Edited on 18-1-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Here's one i wrote awhile back.

Born in Suffering,
Alive because of His Life,
Death Has lost it's sting.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

I like the idea, Chuck, but the last line is problematic to me. It sounds like you're using a euphemism for the 'f' word. (No offense intended, brother, but that's what it sounds like to me.)

It more than sounds like it to me. My wife hates it when my son uses the word.

Might as well just say it :)scholar:) rather than use the euphemism; it's more honest, and helps you realize what you're doing. Might turn you off the habit altogether! :tombstone:

For sure! Now if only I could get rid of that British euphemism that I picked up from a long ago boss . . .

Originally posted by Charismatic Calvinist
Tsunamis, landslides, and lofty gas prices;
I've been looking for work for 6 weeks.
You're so freakin' sovereign!

manga396gx.gif

I may be wrong, but this isn't 5,7,5

its 11, 9, 6

Are there some different rules?

JH

Here's one

I know He loved me
(Before I loved Him, faintly)
Love beyond measure

JH

[Edited on 18-1-2005 by JonathanHunt]

The rule I gave earlier is the official Japanese rule. Here is some info on the rules for American Haiku:

Today, many bilingual poets and translators in the mainstream North American haiku scene agree that something in the vicinity of 11 English syllables is a suitable approximation of 17 Japanese syllables, in order to convey about the same amount of information as well as the brevity and the fragmented quality found in Japanese haiku. As to the form, some American poets advocate writing in 3-5-3 syllables or 2-3-2 accented beats. While rigid structuring can be accomplished in 5-7-5 haiku with relative ease due to a greater degree of freedom provided by the extra syllables, such structuring in shorter haiku will have the effect of imposing much more stringent rules on English haiku than on Japanese haiku, thereby severely limiting its potential.

For more see: http://www.ahapoetry.com/keirule.htm

Originally posted by Charismatic Calvinist
Websters Online told me that freakin' was a synonym for incredibly! Next time I'm using Roget...
I must say I had another word in mind when reading it also. You are not wrong in the context of the word either, just it might not be that right to put it there. btw. the other option which we all seemed to think it was also could mean incredibly in that situation. Both words starting with f can be used interchangably and they are effectivly in many cases the same word but one is considered 'clearer'.

The meaning behind the poem was great, just haiku's arnt my speciality.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by blhowes
Originally posted by joshua
The kid in me likes the poems that rhyme.
...other kinds of poems are a waste of time?

Stop that rhyming. I mean it!

Anybody want a peanut? :D
Oops! sorry! I didn't know the words of my post would bother you so...I'll just get back to work on my next Haiku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back