Reformed Literature in Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Puritan Board Junior
A friend of mine and recent graduate of Mid-America Reformed Seminary has been translating Reformed articles into Spanish. Some articles are from the OPC's New Horizons and some from the Mid-America Journal of Theology. I have been putting them up on the web. They may be of interest to you if you come in contact with Spanish-speaking folk who are interested in good literature in their primary tongue.

Would your friend be interested in trying his hand at William Guthrie's The Christian's Great Interest or Walter Marshall's The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification?

Thanks for the link.

Would your friend be interested in trying his hand at William Guthrie's The Christian's Great Interest or Walter Marshall's The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification?

Thanks for the link.
Welcome. :)

I know he is doing some other translating -- some for the professors at the seminary, and I think a book for a Reformed minister in Canada (I don't know the specifics). He likes to translate because, as you're probably aware, Reformed literature is not as readily available in Spanish (he's from Mexico). If you'd like to reach him, try here: [email protected]

We might not have much Reformed Literature in Spanish, but we sure do have an excellent translation and Reformed Spanish Bible (By Gods Grace, of course!). And I might add, We dont like to jump around or be suck in by american consumerism because we do not need to and we dont have the money. Most Spanish Churches used the Reina-Valera Bible if not the NASB in Spanish that was translated by Spanish Speaking Reformed Folks.

Reina-Valera published 1569 and KJV published 1611.

Here is some info. from Wikipedia on the Reina-Valera;

The Reina-Valera, published in 1569 and nicknamed the Bible of the Bear, was the first complete edition of the Bible in the Spanish language, published in Basel, Switzerland. The facsimile reproduction of this historic text was published by Bible Society (1970 ISBN 84-8083-073-5). Its principal translator was Casiodoro de Reina, an Independent Evangelical[1] but a manuscript found at the Bodleian Library gives further evidence of the fact that the Spanish Bible was a community project[2].
This Bible, as central to the perception of the scriptures by Protestants in Spanish as the King James Version in English, has undergone numerous revisions, the first of which took place in 1602 under the editorial eye of Cipriano de Valera. This edition was printed in Amsterdam. Next was the revision of 1862, followed by revisions in 1909, 1960 and 1995.
Since the 1960 revision was released, there has been much debate among conservative Christian groups which use the Reina-Valera Bible. However, the 1960 revision became the common Bible of many millions of Spanish-speaking Christians around the world. Proof of fact is that almost all Hispanic Fundamentalists use it, despite further attempts to revise it. Also, since the release of the 1995 edition, many Christian have rejected it and reaffirmed their belief in the 1960 revision as the true word of God.
It is important to note that this translation was based on the Hebrew Masoretic Text (Bomberg's Edition, 1525) and the Greek Textus Receptus (Stephanus' Edition, 1550). Also, Reina was aided by the Ferrara Bible, Vetus Latina for the Old Testament and the Latin Edition of Santes Pagnini throughout. The Old Testament was aided by translations of Francisco de Enzinas and Juan Pérez de Pineda as well.

I don't think it's technically correct to call it the Reina-Valera until 1602, when Cipriano de Valera revised Casiodoro de Reina's translation. The 1960 is the most common, and has 1 John 5:7, John 7:53-8:11, etc.

Trinitarian Bible Soceity (TBS) is working on the 1909 Reina-Valera,

From their Quarterly Record; http://www.trinitarianbiblesociety.org/site/qr/qr580.pdf

The work on the revision of the
Spanish Bible is being undertaken
on the edition of Reina-Valera
1602 Reformation Bible known as
the Reina-Valera 1909 Bible. It is
being carefully compared with
many other editions of the Reina-
Valera, including that of 1865 and
others of more recent date, and
with the original Hebrew and
Greek texts. A separate article on
the methodology behind the
Spanish Bible Revision Project will
be found on page 18.

I bought the Reina-Valera 1960 for my wife and it sounds like its a good one.

Around here (SoCal) it seems the NIV in Spanish is the most popular.

But someone from La Habra would know better than me.

Does anybody know of anything regarding Reformed worship (regulative principle, etc.) in Spanish? I've been looking, but I can't seem to find anything.

Does anybody know of anything regarding Reformed worship (regulative principle, etc.) in Spanish? I've been looking, but I can't seem to find anything.
If there is an article you have in mind that is in English without copyright, I could perhaps ask him to translate it. Would something like this be good in Spanish for your purposes?

Wes,

This is what I also found. Document should be attached. It is a document that defends exclusive Psalmody, but it references the regulative principle by Douglas W. Comin, Crown & Covenant Publications

Last edited:
Wes,

This is what I also found. Document should be attached. It is a document that defends exclusive Psalmody, but it references the regulative principle by Douglas W. Comin, Crown & Covenant Publications

Thanks for that. However, I'm looking for something develops the Regulative Principle more extensively from the Scriptures while going light on applications, especially ones that are controversial.

Wes,

Thanks for that. However, I'm looking for something develops the Regulative Principle more extensively from the Scriptures while going light on applications, especially ones that are controversial.

Try this link

There is some books by Spurgeon, Warfield and et al published by Editorial Clie

And there is Felire's website also.

Blessings!

Is there a Spanish Bible translated from the TR? MT?

Here is a link to a Spanish Bible that matches the King James.
It might have links to Ruckman sorry. A woman in my old
church used it to read along with us at the diner table and
she said it was reading the same as the A.V.

William

Spanish Bible of 1865 which is superior to the 1909
and 1960 Spanish Bibles and matches the KJV and its
Received Text. Genuine leather cover and also leather
edged-lined, beautiful text

Valera Bible Catalog

Is there a Spanish Bible translated from the TR? MT?

Here is a link to a Spanish Bible that matches the King James.
It might have links to Ruckman sorry. A woman in my old
church used it to read along with us at the diner table and
she said it was reading the same as the A.V.

William

Spanish Bible of 1865 which is superior to the 1909
and 1960 Spanish Bibles and matches the KJV and its
Received Text. Genuine leather cover and also leather
edged-lined, beautiful text

Valera Bible Catalog

Thanks, and welcome, Mr. Letus! It looks like it is out of print, but I will keep my eyes open.

Preaching and the History of Salvation: Continuing an Unfinished Discussion, by Dr. C. Trimp, is now available in Spanish on the website.

This was required reading at MARS, in English of course! The English translation from the Dutch was made by Dr. Kloosterman.

Wes, I have found some articles on RPW in Spanish in this website. There is the Westminster Standards, Metrified Psalms, Sermons, Historical Documents as well.

Blessings!

Here's a small bookstore. Their physical bookstore contains somewhere in the thousands of reformed-only books, but a large section of it is in spanish.

Spanish Reformed Materials

Dear Brethren,

I am one of the primary translators of Reformed and Presbyterian materials on the following site: Presbiteriano Reformado - Introdución We are focusing mainly on 16th and 17th Cent. Reformers and offer on this site unique materials found no where in the world. My team and I are the first to translate the other Westminster Standards (the FCG, DPW, Family Worship, SL&C), the National Covenant, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, and other items of great interest. We offer our material free on the web, only ask for the credit and not to sell that which we have translated. We have ensured that the WCF and the WLC are the original unaltered versions of the 1640's, and reject the American revisions. We are adding to our site often, and many of the items are such that they have never been in Spanish before now. We praise the Lord God that we are blessed with the ability to provide solid, uncompromising Reformed material and that we can translate them from English to Spanish. We hold to Exclusive Psalmody, are against holy-days, uphold the original Westminster Standards, believe in the Divine Right of Presbyterian Church government, maintain the Establishment Principle, proclaim that the Papacy is the Anti-Christ, are Historicist Post-Mil, are Textus Receptus only, and believe that the Word of God is our only rule of faith and practice.

I pray that our web site will provide you with the materials you seek and we will, as the Lord provides us the grace, continue to add much valuable Presbyterian material for the building up of the fledgling Presbyterian Church in the Spanish speaking world. Visit us often for the treasures we will post as the Lord gives us ability.

Yours in Christ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back