Reformed Ministers Gatherings - Prophesyings and Congregátions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpb

Puritan Board Freshman
Are any of you aware of any regular gathering, anywhere in the world, of Reformed ministers in a general location that come together to practice preaching, sharpen each other's exposition of the Word, continue training, etc.? I'm thinking of something more than a presbytery meeting or a conference held by a church or Reformed ministry. Specifically, our forefathers would gather for Congrégation meetings in Geneva, or prophesyings in Puritan England. See the quotes/screenshots below. Essentially, ministers would get together regularly to improve their preaching and exposition of God's Word.

1707232343580.png
- pg. 196 of A Companion to the Reformation in Geneva, 2021

1707233702552.png

- pg. 248 of Historical Dictionary of the Elizabethan World: Britain, Ireland, Europe, and America, 2002

Granted, Geneva and Puritan England were much different than anywhere in the world today. And the distance today between churches and ministers, even in the same city or region of a state, plays a role. But still, I would love to see something akin to the Congrégation or prophesyings be practiced again. It seems they would be a great benefit to ministers and then to the flocks they serve.

Are any of you aware of any regular gathering, anywhere in the world, of Reformed ministers in a general location that come together to practice preaching, sharpen each other's exposition of the Word, continue training, etc.? I'm thinking of something more than a presbytery meeting or a conference held by a church or Reformed ministry. Specifically, our forefathers would gather for Congrégation meetings in Geneva, or prophesyings in Puritan England. See the quotes/screenshots below. Essentially, ministers would get together regularly to improve their preaching and exposition of God's Word.

View attachment 10839
- pg. 196 of A Companion to the Reformation in Geneva, 2021

View attachment 10841

- pg. 248 of Historical Dictionary of the Elizabethan World: Britain, Ireland, Europe, and America, 2002

Granted, Geneva and Puritan England were much different than anywhere in the world today. And the distance today between churches and ministers, even in the same city or region of a state, plays a role. But still, I would love to see something akin to the Congrégation or prophesyings be practiced again. It seems they would be a great benefit to ministers and then to the flocks they serve.
Hey Matt

When I was church planting in Oxford in the 1990's, I was part of a small group of pastors (mostly Anglican curates) who met together monthly to discuss sermons, or passages, or sermon ideas. It was very profitable, as well as good fellowship, and I have often wished more of this was happening. More recently in my own church which had several seminary students, we had a weekly sermon group, where the students preached to one another and we all evaluated the results. It was a great way to prepare students for their first experience of pulpit ministry (and for me to be confident they were ready) and also to sharpen the sermons they were actively preparing. As Presbyterians, we should do more of this - students and young men would not be the only ones who could benefit.

I've attended Simeon Trust workshops which have some of the same purpose. Of course in those workshops the participants don't all preach, but you go through the preparation process and get rigorous feedback. You also get to hear some experienced expositors preach. I think something more like what you're describing would also be nice, but I've found the workshops to be immensely helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back