Reformed music and such..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

Puritan Board Junior
Originally posted by SRoper
Anyway, I have a question about practical sabbath-keeping. Just today one of my friends told me that I helped convince her that it was improper to work on Sunday. I was very glad to hear it, but then she asked me what positive things I do on the sabbath. I explained that I spend most of the day reading, and I also spend some time in prayer. This is fine for me, but I wish I had a richer picture of how to make good use of the sabbath. We are both single, so common illustrations of leading one's children in worship aren't very helpful.

You get to be creative! Do you like Bach? Get a CD of BWV, find the English translations online, and follow along - the music is made all the richer by the worshipful texts. Listen to sermons. Memorize passages of Scripture. Paint. Designate part of the day for self-examination and reflection on how you've changed by what you've read and heard lately, and also on how you need to change yet. Visit shut-ins. (That's an idea I haven't pursued myself, but need to do.) Umm...that's all I've got for now.

I admit I am still reforming in the music category. Do you have any suggestions as to which JSB CD would be a good introduction?
Oh yes. I only have two, but they have served me well:
Cantatas and Arias, sung by exquisite tenor Ian Bostridge
Bach: Magnificat, by the Academy of Ancient Music, the Choir of King's College, Ian Bostridge, and several others.

And here is a great site for both German and English texts.

[Edited on 8-29-2005 by Laura]

Welp....

I'll be listening to MacArthur and Piper on the iPod.....

I'll also be listening to Redeemed Thought, "Reformation" from CHRISTCentric, Shai Linne's "The Solus Christus Project" and Timothy Brindle's "The Great Awakening" :D You might also find me listening to the Cross Movement. CHRISTCentric, Shai and Tim are explicitly reformed/calvinistic. :D

You might also try

Handel's 'Messiah' (of course!)
Mendelsohn's 'Elijah'
Haydn's 'Creation' (libretto based on Milton's 'Paradise Lost')

All sung in English and very uplifting.

Martin

Quote:

"If you want an inexpensive way to get into Bach, how's 7 Cd's for $6.99 sound? These are excellent. Click here "

That IS a good deal...
The nine cds of Beethoven for $10.00 is good too.
I wonder who the performers are (?).

Originally posted by Laura
Anyway, I have a question about practical sabbath-keeping. Just today one of my friends told me that I helped convince her that it was improper to work on Sunday. I was very glad to hear it, but then she asked me what positive things I do on the sabbath. I explained that I spend most of the day reading, and I also spend some time in prayer. This is fine for me, but I wish I had a richer picture of how to make good use of the sabbath. We are both single, so common illustrations of leading one's children in worship aren't very helpful.

You get to be creative! Do you like Bach? Get a CD of BWV, find the English translations online, and follow along - the music is made all the richer by the worshipful texts. Listen to sermons. Memorize passages of Scripture. Paint. Designate part of the day for self-examination and reflection on how you've changed by what you've read and heard lately, and also on how you need to change yet. Visit shut-ins. (That's an idea I haven't pursued myself, but need to do.) Umm...that's all I've got for now.
:ditto: Laura....all these things are wonderful! But as a professional musician....I have a question....and I am NOT trying to be a pillbug, here.....

May I rehearse on Sunday? Wouldn't that be considered work? And I mean at the most basic level: personal practice. I know when I practice, it amounts to very serious work -- that is also a great delight. A painter or writer could ask a similar question regarding the creative process of making...

I think this is a worthy reflection - "regular" folk might not interpret music making as work -- but, the church musicians (who get paid, btw) work on Sunday --- loving what they do and of course, offering it to the Lord. Again, being a paid musician working in churches on Sunday...should I stop that? What do you think? After all, the church has hired us to work on Sunday.

:detective:

Robin

I'm a rap artist that does Reformed Hip Hip. I present the Reformed faith to my culture through beats and rhymes and speak against false doctrines at concerts. Not to many reformed people in my culture but I am praying for a reformation in the christian rap circles

:sing:

Whattup OS X, its me Iron Temple for lampmode boards.

[Edited on 8-30-2005 by Roldan]

Originally posted by Robin

:ditto: Laura....all these things are wonderful! But as a professional musician....I have a question....and I am NOT trying to be a pillbug, here.....

May I rehearse on Sunday? Wouldn't that be considered work? And I mean at the most basic level: personal practice. I know when I practice, it amounts to very serious work -- that is also a great delight. A painter or writer could ask a similar question regarding the creative process of making...

I think this is a worthy reflection - "regular" folk might not interpret music making as work -- but, the church musicians (who get paid, btw) work on Sunday --- loving what they do and of course, offering it to the Lord. Again, being a paid musician working in churches on Sunday...should I stop that? What do you think? After all, the church has hired us to work on Sunday.

:detective:

Robin

But the Sabbath is not about stopping only that work which is drudgery. It is a day to be spent in communion with God without distraction, like we necessarily are on other days - I know that rehearsing music can move you to doxology, but the principle is that you put all of your "worldly engagements" (not "worldly" meaning "sinful," of course, but the typical things you do the other six days) aside for this one day dedicated to worship. I can't see how practice would fit into that. Now, playing hymns or music from the Psalter would be a different thing - and I hope the distinction doesn't seem petty, but there really is a difference between getting your usual practicing done and playing for personal or corporate worship. Does that make sense? As for the fact that you get paid, well, don't pastors get paid for the "work" they do on Sundays? I think we're missing the point if we define "work" by whether we get paid or not. If it's part of the worship service, of course it is appropriate.

Anyway, you might want to move this (and that) post back over to the original thread whence this one came. I was confused when no one put a notice that it had been moved - couldja do that next time, whoever it was? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back