Reformed Ordo Salutis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have a question about the Reformed Ordo, specifically my question is about where faith and union whith Christ are within it? Is this the typical order:

1.Effectual Calling
2.Regeneration
3.Faith
4.Union
5.Justiciation
(and so on)

or is it:

1.Effectual Calling
2.Union
3.Regeneration
4.Faith
5.Justification
(and so on)

It seems that the confessions speak of us being united to Christ in our effectual calling by faith. And since regeneration precedes faith, I assumed that faith must come after effectual call and regeneration. Also it seems that the union with Chris must come after faith, not before. Although I understand that many Reformed have also spoken of a decretal union, and that is not what I'm talking about. Are there disagreements about this within Reformed circles?

Last edited:
A couple of views on the golden chain of redemption:

- foreknowledge, predestination, calling, regeneration, union to Christ, faith, repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, and glorification.

- decrees of God, predestination, election, outward call, effectual call, saving faith, repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, death, glorification.

A couple of views on the golden chain of redemption:

- foreknowledge, predestination, calling, regeneration, union to Christ, faith, repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, and glorification.

- decrees of God, predestination, election, outward call, effectual call, saving faith, repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, death, glorification.
Thanks. Does union with Christ play any part in the second one? Also, it seems that WSC Q30 implies that faith is the means by which we are united to Christ, so is the first view contra-confessional?

I would have thought that we are mystically united to Christ when He baptises us with His Spirit in regeneration, and then faith follows.

With elements of the ordo salutis, we are talking about logical rather than chronological order, anyway.

I see. That's the position that I think is most cogent. When the catechism speaks of "thereby uniting us to Christ in our effectual calling," does that union correspond with mystical union?

I would have thought that we are mystically united to Christ when He baptises us with His Spirit in regeneration, and then faith follows.

With elements of the ordo salutis, we are talking about logical rather than chronological order, anyway.
Yes, I am aware that we are talking about what is usually a logical order rather than a temporal order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back