"Reformed Systematic Theology" Volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Reformed Systematic Theology: Volume 3: Spirit and Salvation by Joel R. Beeke and Paul M. Smalley is now available for pre-order. (I just pre-ordered mine.) Volume 3 is nearly 1,200 pages long and will be filled with scrumptiously-written, vigorous Reformed theology, I'm sure. A highlight of this volume is the four chapters (37-40) given over to an exposition of the Ten Commandments. Looking forward to reading it!

www.heritagebooks.org/products/reformed-systematic-theology-volume-3-spirit-and-salvation-beeke.html

I have no doubt this in an excellent work. However, does it have much to offer if one is acquainted with major classic systematics (e.g. Berkhof, Calvin, Turretin, à Brakel, Vos, Dabney, etc.)?
I ask because I am working my way through the above, God willing.

Also may I ask, having finished Berkhof and almost Calvin, who should my next be of said names?

I have no doubt this in an excellent work. However, does it have much to offer if one is acquainted with major classic systematics (e.g. Berkhof, Calvin, Turretin, à Brakel, Vos, Dabney, etc.)?
I ask because I am working my way through the above, God willing.

Also may I ask, having finished Berkhof and almost Calvin, who should my next be of said names?

The whole series is far more in-depth than Berkhof. I would say it is close to a' Brakel. Vos is in a short snippet format, which, while excellent, doesn't really go into great detail (and Vos changed his view on Romans 1:3-4 from the Dogmatics to his later Redemptive History).

Dabney relies heavily on common sense realism, which is a respectable position. I somewhat doubt Beeke would endorse that.

No one, of course, comes close to Turretin. Bavinck is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back