Reformed & Wesleyan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jupebox

Puritan Board Freshman
I received a full scholarship to study at Asbury Theological Seminary. So far, the readings have been pretty diverse, including some Reformed authors.

As you see it, what are the similarities between the Reformed and Wesleyan perspectives?

(I know there are many differences, but I'd be interested to hear where you see overlap.)

I think you will find that this is the case at most seminaries simply because most of the academic writing comes from reformed academics. I was genuinely shocked at some of the textbooks from reformed authors that were required when I was getting my undergraduate degree at Liberty.

Here is what I have heard about Asbury:
Anyway, my impression of Asbury as a whole is not good. Although they claim to believe in biblical inerrancy, they did not hold it up. They said that the "concepts" of the bible are inspired, not every word. They reject plenary verbal inspiration and absolute infallibility and inerrancy.

My OT professor, Lawson Stone, taught that Genesis 1-11 is legend and saga. Basically, the OT department taught neo-orthodox views. And the NT department did the same. The higher critical views were all dominate. It's a long story but Asbury is not even remotely Evangelical. It's a liberal seminary that still disagrees with homosexuality. They even said that Paul's view of the sacraments were borrowed from the mystery religions! Why not from the passover meal and OT circumcision?

Hello jupebox, welcome to PB!

I would think the basic difference is that the Wesleyans are -- those that are true to their doctrinal commitments -- hardcore Arminian, and having any paper from it would likely do you more harm in Reformed Baptist or Presbyterian circles than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back