Reggie Bush, USC running back, wins 71st Heisman Trophy Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone watched the video of Reggie's highschool highlights? Amazing!

If you haven't seen it, it's available in the ESPN Motion player...check the espn.com frontpage.

As a man married to a Penn State grad I have to agree to any positive statements such as those posted by Adam about anything PSU related. I find life is happier that way.
As the father of a University of Texas student I have to say some guy named Vince would have made a good choice.
As an observer of the Heisman award winners all my life I have to say...
it seems like it doesn't help that much for most of them in their pro careers.

PSU grad, fan, player, what have you, I don't see how a player can lead a down and out team predicted to do next to nothing to number three in the Country as non deserving as a Heisman mention.

But despite his value to the Nittany Lions, Robinson just isn't as good a player. I don't think it's supposed to be an MVP award...it's the most outstanding college player, and that's not Robinson. Brady Quinn would be just as deserving as Robinson, if not more so -- Quinn finished higher in the voting, but he wasn't invited to the ceremony either.

Not by stats alone...but with a heavy reliance on them.

Anyway, my point was that your general argument about PSU could be applied to the Irish as well. A down and out team (not ranked at the beginning of the year), not expected to do much, that climbs into the top ten via the arm of its quarterback. If Robinson should be there, then so should Quinn.

Charlie Weiss would be a better choice for Heisman than Brady Quinn, but truth be told their schedule would take the Heisman cake before either of them.

:D

So Quinn should be penalized for having a good coach who implemented an excellent offensive system?

Seems to me that that would have to be applied to all the candidates. Leinart and Bush should be severely penalized since we all know what an excellent coach Pete Carroll is. Mack Brown finally didn't lose any games due to over-conservative play calling, so his excellent job coaching should knock Vince Young out of the race. Who could doubt that this was Joe Pa's best coaching job in years, after the apparent motivation of being criticised heavily last year, even enduring talk that he should be fired if he didn't produced this year; that clearly diminishes Robinson's candidacy.

:shrug:

My point is that the Heisman is the most outstanding player, not most valuable.

Reggie Bush stood out more than any other player this year. The others were excellent, but Reggie reached college football greatness. If you doubt, watch his game against Notre Dame, or the Fresno game.

And the fact that he racked up over 100 yards in the first quarter of the UCLA game, and over 220 yards in the first half. Most "good" runningbacks in the SEC, for example, are considered outstanding if they have a 100 yard rush GAME, not quarter.

Originally posted by mgeoffriau
But despite his value to the Nittany Lions, Robinson just isn't as good a player. I don't think it's supposed to be an MVP award...it's the most outstanding college player, and that's not Robinson. Brady Quinn would be just as deserving as Robinson, if not more so -- Quinn finished higher in the voting, but he wasn't invited to the ceremony either.

:ditto:

Vince Young should have won the Heisman. Reggie Bush was slightly exposed tonight as not havin faced a tough enough defense and Vince Young cut through USC rather handidly.

A WVU win, Notre Dame & USC losses, a 37 point spanking laid on Criami, Georgia Tech getting blasted by a mid major, and Marcus Vick exposed for what he really is, a soliciting, drug-using blight on the college football world (when he cleated the back of D.'s knee)...

It just doesn't get any better.

:banana:

1) I hate USC
2) I was voting for Texas to win tonight because of number 1
3) Vince Young should not have won the Heisman. He was not the MVP of NCAA Div I Football for the regular season. Reggie Bush was the best player during the season.
4) Vince Young deserved the MVP for the Rose Bowl, he was the best player tonight.
5) I'm happy USC lost!

USC is a great team but I'm glad they lost. LSU won two years ago, Chokelahoma shouldn't have played in the championship last year, the PAC-10 has no defense and USC almost lost to ND and Fresno, and somehow one couldn't get away from all this "greatest team ever" talk. Sheesh! Hook 'em horns!

Originally posted by Mudandstars
A WVU win, Notre Dame & USC losses, a 37 point spanking laid on Criami, Georgia Tech getting blasted by a mid major, and Marcus Vick exposed for what he really is, a soliciting, drug-using blight on the college football world (when he cleated the back of D.'s knee)...

It just doesn't get any better.

You forgot to mention TT's overly-hyped offense scoring only 10 points on Bama - just like every one else. It's all about the defense.

Another great point!

Another 41 great points!!

Young
Threw 30/40 for 267 yards, 0 TDs and 0 Interceptions
Carried 19 times for 200 yards, 3 TDs and a 2 point conversion

Leinart
Threw 29/40 for 365 yards and 1 TD, 1 Interception
Carried 0 times for 0 yards

Bush
Carried 13 times for 82 yards, 1 TD
Received 6 times for 95 yards

Status