Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald James Perry

Puritan Board Freshman
I hear this book promoted on youtube here

The Fatal Error of John Wesley’s Second Work of Grace
Note the minutes​

Posted by Spring Church of Christ Taught by Daniel Denham churchesofchrist.com

Nothing on that video is made completly clear to me. Anyway, Daniel Denham said that Reinhold Seeberg dismantels Calvinism.

I order his book to see where he gets confused. My question is has anyone read any of Seeberg, and if so what did you think of him?

I see one review here:

Reinhold Seeberg's "Text Book of the History of Doctrines" is a readable and relatively complete overview of the development of Christian doctrine from the first century until the time of the Reformation. Originally published in two volumes, the work under review contains both volumes. Seeberg was a professor of church history and systematic theology in the universities of Dorpat, Erlangen, and Berlin. He produced his history of doctrine near the end of the nineteenth century.

Someone contemplating purchasing this history should know that although it is one of the best for what it covers, Seeberg's history breaks off at about the end of the sixteenth century. With the exception of a brief excursus into the recovery of Augustinian thought in the theology of Jansen, Seeberg's discussion of Roman Catholic doctrine comes to an end with the Council of Trent. Reformed theology is discussed only through the Council of Dordt and Lutheran theology through the Formula of Concord. Whether Seeberg did this intentionally or whether he never got around to writing a third volume, I cannot say.

As is typical of many histories of doctrine past and recent, the discussion of the development of doctrine in the Greek church comes to an end with the iconoclastic controversies and the Seventh Ecumenical Council.

Seeberg's work has been reprinted on several occasions. The best reprint I have come across is the one put out by Baker in 1977-1978 in its Twin Brook Series. This is the one I use. The quality of the print is excellent, although the binding isn't particularly strong.

HOWEVER, I do not see anything in his table of contents online in book one

Book 2 and 3 table of contents

Long story short, I am looking for R. S. complaints about Calvinism. Does anyone know where they are? Thanks.

Attachments

• History of doctrines in the middle and modern ages Vol 2 Vol 3 Table of Contents.pdf
    417.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Text-book of the History of Doctrines Table of Contents Vol 1.pdf
    309.8 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back