Rejoice in the Lord always! - Matthew Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
Philippians 4:4 - Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice!

III. He exhorts to holy joy and delight in God: Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say, Rejoice, v. 4. All our joy must terminate in God; and our thoughts of God must be delightful thoughts. Delight thyself in the Lord (Ps. 37:4), in the multitude of our thoughts within us (grievous and afflicting thoughts) his comforts delight our souls (Ps. 94:19), and our meditation of him is sweet, Ps. 104:34. Observe, It is our duty and privilege to rejoice in God, and to rejoice in him always; at all times, in all conditions; even when we suffer for him, or are afflicted by him. We must not think the worse of him or of his ways for the hardships we meet with in his service. There is enough in God to furnish us with matter of joy in the worst circumstance on earth. He had said it before (ch. 3:1): Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. Here he says it again, Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say Rejoice. Joy in God is a duty of great consequence in the Christian life; and Christians need to be again and again called to it. If good men have not a continual feast, it is their own fault.

"I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope." - Psalms 16:8-9

"In thy presence is fullness of joy: at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." - Psalm 16:11

"We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners." - Psalm 20:5

"The king shall joy in thy strength, O Lord; and in thy salvation how greatly shall he rejoice! Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and has not withholden the request of his lips." - Psalm 21:1-2

"Delight thyself also in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart." - Psalm 37:4

"In the multitude of my thoughts within me, thy comforts delight my soul." - Psalm 94:19

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before His presence with singing." - Psalms 100:1-2

"My meditation of Him shall be sweet; I will be glad in the Lord." - Psalm 104:34

"Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints. Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their king." - Psalm 149:1-2

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou has been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of the Lord." - Matthew 25:21

"For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." - Romans 14:17

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace..." - Galatians 5:22

"...be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." - Ephesians 5:18-20

"Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord." - Philippians 3:1

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12:2

And as one last help to joy, John Piper reciting Romans 8:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back