Relation of Cov's of Redemption and New Covenant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonoftheday

Puritan Board Sophomore
How do the Covenants of Redemption and the New Covenant Relate? Also is the term Covenant of Grace synonymous with Cov of Redemption?

The Covenant of Redemption was made between the Father and the Son on behalf of the elect. (I think this is how it is defined in both confessions). So we are not contributing members in this covenant but beneficiaries of it.

Who is the New Covenant made between?

Were the saints before the Cross members of the New Covenant?

I am asking this question here as well in the Paedo-Baptism thread so that I can clearly see the differences.

Edited to clarify the question

Last edited:
How do the Covenants of Redemption and the New Covenant Relate? Also is the term Covenant of Grace synonymous with Cov of Redemption?

I believe there is one Everlasting Covenant of Redemption (Grace), and that all the other covenants, including the Covenant of Works, act as sub-covenants meant to reveal why and how God sent His Son into the world.

I am asking this question here as well in the Paedo-Baptism thread so that I can clearly see the differences.

Well, I hope you do not find a great difference between the views of the Reformers from both camps, on this subject.

The Covenant of Redemption was made between the Father and the Son on behalf of the elect. (I think this is how it is defined in both confessions). So we are not contributing members in this covenant but beneficiaries of it.

Were the saints of the past covenants members of the New Covenant?

Yes.

Same. Between the Persons of the Godhead.

Were the saints of the past covenants members of the New Covenant?

I believe so, due to God gifting them with faith to believe the covenant promises of a Savior who would be provided by God.

The "New" covenant of grace is the fulfillment of the Everlasting Gospel ("good news") of a Savior which which had been determined and promised before creation, by Father, Son, and Holy Spirit . . . to be provided by God's grace, to an elect mankind, as first promised to Eve . . . who would not only produce all the elect seeds who were predestined to receive the covenant of promise, redemption and grace, but who would produce the very Seed, Jesus Christ who would fulfill all Covenant promises. Genesis 3:15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back