Relative vs. Inherent Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
In Boston's works, (and also in Owen's) the categories of 'relative' and 'inherent' grace are used. I am trying to crystallize in my own mind what the differences are. Relative grace is concerned with justification? And inherent grace with sanctification?

Here are a couple of helpful quotes:

The Spirit of God, by the promises of inherent grace, produces inherent and real effects, such as holy dispositions, holy affections, &c. The same Spirit, by the promises of relative grace, and the application of them to the soul, effects a relative change; or produces effects which, merely to distinguish them from real and inherent, I may call moral or relative: such as acquitment from condemnation, right to the favour of God, and privileges of children. Thomas Halyburton, An Essay on the Ground or Formal Reason of Saving Faith; Pg. 129

Here is grace and glory, relative grace, pardon of sin, peace with God, adoption into his family; inherent grace, the restoration of the image of God, the continuation of it, the perfecting of it. Thomas Boston; Sermons on the most Important and Interesting Subjects; Vol I; Pg. 176

Relative grace has to do with the changed relationship between God and man through reconciliation. Inherent grace has to to with the 'new man'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back