Remarkable Providences Illustrative of the Earlier Days of American Colonization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Providence.jpg

Got this book from RHB today; anyone else read it. Looks good. :cool:

Please let us know what you think of it

I needed it for the sourcebook I am working on; not sure if I will get to read it all in the near future, though it would be good preparation for studying Cotton Mather's Great Works of Christ in America...so I might make it my business to read it. :book2:

His hair (actually, wig) is much longer in the picture found in Meet the Puritans.

Was this book the foundation for Cotton Mather's later study in Puritan New England?

I'm sure it was influential. Increase's book was first published in 1684. Cotton began working on Magnalia Christi Americana in 1690. Both have similar goals in attempting to show God's providential plans for and dealings with New England.

His hair (actually, wig) is much longer in the picture found in Meet the Puritans.

Was this book the foundation for Cotton Mather's later study in Puritan New England?

I'm sure it was influential. Increase's book was first published in 1684. Cotton began working on Magnalia Christi Americana in 1690. Both have similar goals in attempting to show God's providential plans for and dealings with New England.

So Cotton Increased the work of Increase? :):detective:

I thought about wearing one of those wigs at the PCA General Assembly in Dallas next month. There is usually a section of elders sitting together wearing clerical collars, so maybe I could start my own section of elders wearing wigs. It is a great way to start a tradition. :lol:

:D Cotton was very prolific, but Increase wrote 175 books and pamphlets, and it would be hard for most to top that. They were quite a pair, and of course there was Richard too. That was an amazing spiritual dynasty.

:D Cotton was very prolific, but Increase wrote 175 books and pamphlets, and it would be hard for most to top that. They were quite a pair, and of course there was Richard too. That was an amazing spiritual dynasty.

I think Dr. Andrew Holmes (my lecturer last semester at Queen's) said that Cotton Mather wrote around 380 books. :eek:

I think Dr. Andrew Holmes (my lecturer last semester at Queen's) said that Cotton Mather wrote around 380 books. :eek:

Well, Wikipedia says that Cotton Mather wrote 450 books and pamphlets. So I guess Cotton did Increase the work of Increase. :pilgrim:

Well, Wikipedia says that Cotton Mather wrote 450 books and pamphlets. So I guess Cotton did Increase the work of Increase. :pilgrim:

Andrew must have forgot about the pamphlets. :graduate:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back