Replacement Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len

Puritan Board Freshman
Could anyone fill me in on the particulars of what has been called "replacement theology"? I tried a search for it but came up with so many different definitions it's hard to pigeonhole it. On the one hand I've heard it's a theology that says the church has replaced Israel, even to the extent that one should not evangelize Jews - on the other I've heard this being used as a term to describe covenant theology.

Oh yeah - suggesting books or sources is always helpful! :D

Thanks!

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Len]

Thanks for the article, Mr. Albrecht - it was very helpful.

"I thought the term replacement theology was just an ad hominem name by dispensationalists describing Covenantal views."

It's certainly used that way in some cases (as demonstrated by the article). But apparently there is a brand of theology out there that is referred to as replacement theology that seems to suggest that the church literally replaced Israel and thinks the Jews have been cast off totally to the point that evangelizing them is frowned upon.

An outstanding little book on the relation of the church to Israel is:

Charles Provan, The Chuch is Israel Now

It is mainly scripture categorized under propositional points (similar in format to Steele's The Five Points of Calvinism, for those familiar with that).

[quote:abe6554dc3][i:abe6554dc3]Originally posted by Len[/i:abe6554dc3]
But apparently there is a brand of theology out there that is referred to as replacement theology that seems to suggest that the church literally replaced Israel and thinks the Jews have been cast off totally to the point that evangelizing them is frowned upon. [/quote:abe6554dc3]

Ah, I think what you are thinking of is the so-called Christian Identity movement. Some of these folks are white racists, and others are the British-Isaelites (e.g., Herbert W. Armstrong's original Worldwide Church of God).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back