Requesting resources about Solomon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan Crotinger

Puritan Board Freshman
I will be teaching a class on Ecclesiastes soon and I was looking for good resources on Solomon as well as some good commentaries. Perhaps some that might deal with a summary of Solomon's life that also might give some insight into the apocryphal books that he is credited with writing.

Thank you.

Here are two books, quite accessible; paperbacks, so they won't be too expensive.

The first focuses exclusively on Solomon; the book is a result of Phil Ryken's sermons detailing the life of king Solomon.
King Solomon: The Temptations of Money, Sex, and Power

The second is a commentary on 1Kings by Dale Ralph Davis
CFP | 1 Kings - Focus on the Bible: The Wisdom And the Folly | Dale Ralph Davis

I don't think you will find much of anything about apocryphal writings attributed to Solomon in either. No great loss, in my view.

Hengstenberg has a fine commentary on it, with some surprising interpretations,
and even who authored it.

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate the Amazon link BTW. I ordered the Ryken Commentary.

When doing research I found the Wikipedia on Solomon (which is usually a source I check to determine if their is much outside of the Bible I should be aware of) and discovered that his life history is debated from many different angles.

For instance the accusation that he had a child (Menelik I) with the Queen of Sheba and "founded a dynasty that would reign as the first Jewish, then Christian empire of Ethiopia for 2900 years." This also related to the Ethiopian claim to have the Ark of the Covenant and so forth.

So I was looking for something that might give a brief understanding to all of the different takes on his life that would either agree or oppose those types of extra biblical sources and the other religious claims to King Solomon that exist.

Edit: After looking at all of the commentaries that you all recomended I am in the process of ordering all of them actually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back