Rerelease of Baptism of Disciples Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked if there were any significant revisions in the book. Here is what Stan Reeves found out.

Here's the word I got from Ken Puls, who runs Founders Press:

> Fred Malone has made several edits throughout the book, providing
> additional quotes and clarifications. The book has been reformatted,
> repaginated and re-indexed. Fred has also added two appendices to the book:
> Appendix E is a book review on The Case for Covenantal Infant Baptism by
> Gregg Strawbridge that came out in 2003 (same year as first edition of
> Fred's book). Appendix F is a critique and rejection of Extreme
> Covenantalism, exposing the errors of the New Perspective on Paul and
> hypercovenantalism (Federal Vision theology). This is a more definitive
> edition of Fred's work and, in my opinion, a "must-have".

Stan Reeves, Elder
Grace Heritage Church
Auburn, AL
Grace Heritage Church, Auburn, Alabama
I have already ordered mine.

Someone asked if there were any significant revisions in the book. Here is what Stan Reeves found out.

PuritanCovenanter, note one of the rules from the RBDL is:
"The individual posts are not intended to be posted to other mailing lists. Posts should not be used beyond this list without the permission of the posting party. It's the gracious thing to do."

He:

Do you guys believe that this is the definitive exposition of the CB position?

Curious,

-CH

It is an exposition. If someone wanted to know a stronger definitive CB expostion I would refer them to Nehemiah Coxe's Covenant Theology From Adam to Christ. He is one of the Particular Baptists from the 1600's and probably had his hands deep in the 1677 (1689) LBCF.

I think the strength of Malone's book is that he does hold to a Covenant Theology and has had to deal honestly with a lot of the theology of His past.

But I would recommend the Coxe book first.

PuritanCovenanter, note one of the rules from the RBDL is:
"The individual posts are not intended to be posted to other mailing lists. Posts should not be used beyond this list without the permission of the posting party. It's the gracious thing to do."

I asked Stan if I could post this before I did. He said, "Yes, please do."
I know the rules. Thanks for the reminder though.

FYI... Stan Reeves is the Moderator of the rblist.org. It is an email list for Reformed Baptists. There are a few Presbyterians who participate some also.

He:

Do you guys believe that this is the definitive exposition of the CB position?

Curious,

-CH

It is an exposition. If someone wanted to know a stronger definitive CB expostion I would refer them to Nehemiah Coxe's Covenant Theology From Adam to Christ. He is one of the Particular Baptists from the 1600's and probably had his hands deep in the 1677 (1689) LBCF.

I think the strength of Malone's book is that he does hold to a Covenant Theology and has had to deal honestly with a lot of the theology of His past.

But I would recommend the Coxe book first.

I appreciate Dr. Malone's (and RB's in general) commitment to Covenant Theology. I read Dr. Malone's essay, "A String of Pearls Unstrung" as an RB, and it was the misuse of Covenant Theology - especially in the realm of Jeremiah 31 - that caused me to question the RB theology in general. A misuse that many RB's here have echoed, and I have pointed out in previous posts.

If Dr. Malone has improved his covenantal argument, then I would be most interested in reading it.

-CH

I appreciate Dr. Malone's (and RB's in general) commitment to Covenant Theology. I read Dr. Malone's essay, "A String of Pearls Unstrung" as an RB, and it was the misuse of Covenant Theology - especially in the realm of Jeremiah 31 - that caused me to question the RB theology in general. A misuse that many RB's here have echoed, and I have pointed out in previous posts.

If Dr. Malone has improved his covenantal argument, then I would be most interested in reading it.

-CH

I received my copy in the mail today. I have discussed Jeremiah 31 with many here. I will probably agree with Malone. It has been a few years since I read his book so I need to reread it. I did start rereading it this morning. And maybe we have also discussed it. I remember a thread which the topic was basically saying that the Jeremiah passage should be interpreted 'now and not yet', so to speak. And with was being proposed I disagreed. If you want to start that discussion up again you can start a new thread. I am not sure how much I would be able to partake in it but I am sure I would some. I remember discussing it with PM and was sharpened significantly because of my interaction with him.

So start a new thread if you want to discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back