Resolving to praise for ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Sermons from 1 Peter 1:1-4), Works 4:146:

Mercy is never paid for by praise; for grace to praise is new mercy, and our debt grows bigger by praising. But the believer expresses his thankfulness by resolving to praise for ever, and therefore the Psalmist expresses himself thus: I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being, Ps. 104:33. Aye, but thy life will be quickly at an end, David: “But I shall have a being for ever, and the work of praise is resolved upon for ever. I will sing praises unto my God while I have my being.” Sirs, take heed to your spirits in this. Whosoever they be, who think they quit scores with God for mercy, by an hour or two, or a day of thanksgiving, such persons neither know God, nor mercy, nor themselves. Our praising is but our duty, and when we have done all we can, there is a great deal more owing; and we must never expect to pay God for his mercy, even unto the utmost days of eternity. We must resolve to praise him for ever: for his mercy endureth for ever, and everlasting mercy should oblige to eternal praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back