Resource - 4 Years High School Latin - 100+ Hours Video - Wheelock's

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hey all. Came across this resource, so I decided to download it not knowing if/when it will be off the web. After searching, it is the most complete no-cost course(s) offering for Latin. It is from a Catholic Home School catalogue found on Vimeo. The videos were freely downloadable, as you can see with the link below. No hacking or finagling were needed to download them. Latin classes can be expensive, often times costing $300-$800 or more for a single term. These courses cover 4 years of Latin, i.e. First Year - Beginning, Second Year - Intermediate, Third Year - Advanced, and Fourth Year Advanced. Each year is two semesters. It also includes two Latin "Boot Camps." Within this resources, I have also included the Flash Card Program Anki, and the subsequent Wheelock's Vocabulary Deck, which Wheelock's Latin Grammar is the main text book for most of the courses. These courses, I believe take you from not knowing a single thing about Latin, to eventually reading and translating it. While these courses will not make you an expert; I think they may be a good precursor to resources like Latinum because it will help you first visualize the grammar rules, since Latinum is mainly an audio resource.

I dont know if I will use these, but it has always been a desire of mine to learn Latin since so much of Church History was written in it. And being on the lower income spectrum, this seems like an awesome resource to get my feet wet; especially as it was designed for younger students, and thus will explain the principles in a way even children can understand. The size of the complete resource is 18gb's, covering 109 videos. These videos, coupled with Wheelock Workbooks, etc. should go a long way at helping one self-study to learn Latin. Hope this blesses someone.

I think if you follow the link, it will give the option to download the classes individually within the main folder. I do not know how long I will have these in Drive, considering their size, but should for at least a few weeks.

The link to this resource is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15QDkTyAcuOKrkyJuKT8wzFJMu_18_rYb?usp=drive_link
And the source of these videos is https://vimeo.com/homeschoolconnections/videos/search:Latin/sort:date

Below is an example of the videos.

This looks excellent. When I took Latin decades ago, we used Wheelock and I still have the text as a resource. It is very systematic, which I found helpful. I am inclined to think that a couple of different approaches to learning Latin might prove helpful - not at the same time of course. In other words, combining the systematic approach of a text like Wheelock, and other approaches that quickly get you in familiar texts such as the Vulgate or the Fathers, etc.

That is why something like this class would be necessary for me; I am completely clueless as where to start. I tried Latinum a couple times, but it quickly assumes a grasp of grammatical rules, which I dont have any clue of. But Latinum is a good tool as well, especially at only $8 a month, that fully immerses you in the language from day 1. The goal of Latinum is totally fluency, read, write, and speak. I have checked into that, and see they do make a Latin NT, and that seems like it would be an awesome tool to practice reading.

It sounds like Wheelock might be the best place to start, and you should be able to get the text inexpensively as it has been around for a long time. If you have taken New Testament Greek, the paradigms will be very familiar. If not, you will learn them! I also like the Wheelock approach because it did not make you wait forever to get into verbs. Festina lente! (Augustus, “make haste slowly”) - 'get going, but take the time to get it right in the end'...I'm still working on it!

It sounds like Wheelock might be the best place to start, and you should be able to get the text inexpensively as it has been around for a long time. If you have taken New Testament Greek, the paradigms will be very familiar. If not, you will learn them! I also like the Wheelock approach because it did not make you wait forever to get into verbs. Festina lente! (Augustus, “make haste slowly”) - 'get going, but take the time to get it right in the end'...I'm still working on it!
Was able to get the textbook and the workbook off Ebay for $15. At that price, no reason not to get them.

Hey all. Came across this resource, so I decided to download it not knowing if/when it will be off the web. After searching, it is the most complete no-cost course(s) offering for Latin. It is from a Catholic Home School catalogue found on Vimeo. The videos were freely downloadable, as you can see with the link below. No hacking or finagling were needed to download them. Latin classes can be expensive, often times costing $300-$800 or more for a single term. These courses cover 4 years of Latin, i.e. First Year - Beginning, Second Year - Intermediate, Third Year - Advanced, and Fourth Year Advanced. Each year is two semesters. It also includes two Latin "Boot Camps." Within this resources, I have also included the Flash Card Program Anki, and the subsequent Wheelock's Vocabulary Deck, which Wheelock's Latin Grammar is the main text book for most of the courses. These courses, I believe take you from not knowing a single thing about Latin, to eventually reading and translating it. While these courses will not make you an expert; I think they may be a good precursor to resources like Latinum because it will help you first visualize the grammar rules, since Latinum is mainly an audio resource.

I dont know if I will use these, but it has always been a desire of mine to learn Latin since so much of Church History was written in it. And being on the lower income spectrum, this seems like an awesome resource to get my feet wet; especially as it was designed for younger students, and thus will explain the principles in a way even children can understand. The size of the complete resource is 18gb's, covering 109 videos. These videos, coupled with Wheelock Workbooks, etc. should go a long way at helping one self-study to learn Latin. Hope this blesses someone.

I think if you follow the link, it will give the option to download the classes individually within the main folder. I do not know how long I will have these in Drive, considering their size, but should for at least a few weeks.

The link to this resource is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15QDkTyAcuOKrkyJuKT8wzFJMu_18_rYb?usp=drive_link
And the source of these videos is https://vimeo.com/homeschoolconnections/videos/search:Latin/sort:date

Below is an example of the videos.
Amazing resource Dave. Latin isn't on my language list, but daughters have their choice at learning whatever languages they want after English and Spanish. Glad to know this material is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back