Resource for Puritan titles on specific topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
e.g A treatise/book on work, marriage etc... any resource where I can get the puritan works categorized by topic?

Martin's book is great for having a topical section. Indispensable, though the PRTS work looks fascinating. Thanks for pointing to that.

Meanwhile, if you don't have the book and just want a sermon text guide to Puritan sermons, this is available for free:

http://www.pcahistory.org/sermons/

[I started putting that information together in the late 1980s, but about the time I had it up to book length and was thinking about pursuing publication, along came BoT with Martin's book. So rather than throw all that work away, I threw it up on the Web.]

Sometimes, when I traveled to Seattle for work, I would stay in SeaTac near the airport. Many times I would visit Robert Martin's church, and was always blessed by his preaching. But I didn't know that he was the same guy who wrote this book. So, I approached him one day after the service, and asked if he was the same guy. He said he was. And that he first put all of this together for himself, as a preaching tool. I told him how much I loved this book and how much I used it in my personal study. I was saddened when I visited again last year to find he had died.

He wrote another book on the Sabbath, which can be found here:
http://www.heritagebooks.org/produc...ligation-and-practical-observance-martin.html

Wayne, thank you for all the work you put into that site. I use that resource for reading sermons all the time.

Sometimes, when I traveled to Seattle for work, I would stay in SeaTac near the airport. Many times I would visit Robert Martin's church, and was always blessed by his preaching. But I didn't know that he was the same guy who wrote this book. So, I approached him one day after the service, and asked if he was the same guy. He said he was. And that he first put all of this together for himself, as a preaching tool. I told him how much I loved this book and how much I used it in my personal study. I was saddened when I visited again last year to find he had died.

He wrote another book on the Sabbath, which can be found here:
http://www.heritagebooks.org/produc...ligation-and-practical-observance-martin.html

He also wrote Accuracy of Translation and the New International Version, which I found to be helpful years ago. I think it is probably one of the better books I've seen in illustrating the pitfalls of dynamic equivalency.

I wonder if Banner of Truth could be prevailed upon to reprint his book on the Puritans since so many seem to find it helpful.

Last edited:
Indeed. Got mine from ebay for about $40. I see some sellers on Amazon asking for over a thousand dollars for this item. Yikes!

Over $1000? That's insane...wow. I picked up my copy at cvbbs.com for $15 last year.

Meanwhile, if you don't have the book and just want a sermon text guide to Puritan sermons, this is available for free:

http://www.pcahistory.org/sermons/

[I started putting that information together in the late 1980s, but about the time I had it up to book length and was thinking about pursuing publication, along came BoT with Martin's book. So rather than throw all that work away, I threw it up on the Web.]

Thank you for your work on the pcahistory site! It is a tremendous resource.

I wonder if Banner of Truth could be prevailed upon to reprint his book on the Puritans since so many seem to find it helpful.

I'd sign that petition!

Wayne, thank you for all the work you put into that site. I use that resource for reading sermons all the time.

Thank you for those encouraging words. Sorry to hear of Pastor Martin's passing. The Church's loss and his gain.

I just remembered another resource that might be helpful to you. There is the Cyclopaedia Bibliographica by James Darling. I have a set printed by Tentmaker, but you should also be able to find these volumes on Google Books. You can either find it sorted by author or by Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back