Resources arguing against mere Divine agency being applied to Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TryingToLearn

Puritan Board Freshman
The notion of divine agency seems to be an easy way for unitarians to get around the Deity of Christ. Even conservative commentaries will (incorrectly, in my strong opinion) argue for divine agency in certain OT passages like Psalm 45 ("Your throne, O God is forever…Therefore God, your God…") or in Zechariah ("They will look on Me whom they pierced, and they will mourn for him…"). For example, the entries in Carson and Beale's book on the NT's use of the OT holds that these two passages identify the King of Psalm 45 and the "prophet" (their term) of Zechariah as merely representing God. This would remove these texts (and Psalm 45's quotation in Hebrews) as being used to argue that Jesus is ontologically God.

How do we exegetically argue against the concept of divine agency? I'm not saying this concept is never used in Scripture, but all a unitarian has to do to get around any text that identifies Jesus as Yahweh/God is claim that this is what's happening. Any help I could get here?

Brandon @TryingToLearn, The Carson and Beale book is quite large, as are the treatments of these two passages. Would you please cite the specific mentions you are referring to, so as to help folks trying to follow your thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back