Resources for a newcomer to FV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanablue

Puritan Board Doctor
I am interested in learning more about FV. Right now, I know nothing - except that its rejected in reformed circles. I've tried to educate myself by reading this forum and some of the things referenced in this forum, but, frankly, they're all over my head. Does anyone have suggestions for a book, pamphlet etc that would explain the basics of FV in a very simple manner. Think of if you wanted to explain FV to a twelve year old!

I would prefer to avoid podcasts and videos, because the way I really learn and understand these things is by reading, rereading, underlining etc. I can print out a web article, but I can't do that with an audio resource.

Thank you in advance. :)

Kathleen, at the 2009 ARP meeting of General Synod, a committee issued a report on the Federal Vision (and New Perspective on Paul) and included a bibliography with the report. It includes books, articles, and audio files. You can see this list at my blog here.

The 9 declarations toward the end of the PCA Study Report will help spot this. As you can see, they deal with what confuses or denies some very important reformed doctrines, and some very foundational Scripture, e.g. "visible" v. "invisible" church, "union with Christ," "justification," "imputation" of Christ's righteousness.

The key thing is that it confuses or denies the gospel, justification by faith (in Christ's righteousness) alone, and our assurance that comes from that.

I thought that Piper's the Future of Justification was easier to read than some; but I think that's also one of the problems/attractions of Wright's stuff--he comes off as a real smart guy who is good at putting things in "layman's" terms; and in the process he shifts definitions around and distorts them in subtle ways, and cleverly sets the grounds for his arguments in ways that favor his positions. By the end of one of his books you're confused about most of his references, believe that green is red, and you know with confidence that Paul liked cinnamon on his breakfast latte. Arguing against him seems to be a painstaking process that makes the writer come off as a bookworm with dyslexia.

I'm going to be starting a series on my blog in the next couple of weeks called "the plain man's guide to the federal vision" Check in if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back