Resources for Chinese people

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog8food

Puritan Board Freshman
I got myself in a sticky situation. Long story short, I allowed myself to get really close to a non-Christian Chinese girl. She knows my values about dating/marrying a Christian only. She's very open to the idea of Christianity and eats up the resources I send her (such as Lewis's "Mere Christianity" in Chinese). In her small town she doesn't have access to resources so I've been trying to find material online. Unfortunately, she admitted that part of her motivation for wanting to become Christian is so that we can be together. The thing is, we've had so many discussions and I've presented the Gospel to her from many different angles, I'm just not sure if she's understanding the concepts, as I'm not sure how to present the information to her on her cultural level.

Advice?

Last edited:
Paul Washer translated several sermons into Chinese, I can find and send them to you if your intrested.

Two questions to consider...

1. Does she like you, or does she like the idea of marrying an American?

2. Is she interested in Christianity because she's drawn to Christ, or because she wants to join you? There is a sense in which Christians themselves, by their lives, do make the gospel appealing and draw people in. But when it comes to "dating evangelism," emotions are on overdrive and we do well to turn an unbeliever's attention away from ourselves and to Christ. He's who she truly needs first of all.

I don't think you have to totally give up the relationship. But before you do anything rash, make sure her affections are first for Jesus and only secondly for you. This means you're a probably a long way from anything more than friendship right now.

She probably needs most of all to read the Bible at this point, particularly the gospels. They clearly show us the marvelous person and work of Christ, and that's the person she needs to become enthralled with. But there are Reformed books in Chinese. See the China Reformed Theological Seminary bookstore. Or check out this old Puritan Board thread.

You might find this useful China Horizon - HOME

Also Piper has released his site with many resources in Chinese.

Song of a Wanderer: Beckoned by Eternity I use this book with Mainland Chinese students studying in the US. It is written by a Chinese man who became a Christian while studying in the west. He addresses many questions and issues the Chinese have about Christianity.

Thank you all for those helpful resources. Actually, Justin I had sent her "The Song of a Wanderer" and she ate it up in a few days. She's really intelligent and goes through material fast. It's hard for me to understand how God draws people to Himself. For one person, it might be a single event, or for another, years of study. Some people have told me about their "a-ha!" moment while others slowly gave themselves to Christ piece-by-piece.

I feel inadequate and responsible when sharing Christ with my friend, since I struggle with so many theological issues myself. Outwardly, she's a better "Christian" than myself in the way she loves others with patience and long-suffering. She sometimes reprimands my own sinful deeds which makes the situation awkward and makes me a dim light and poor salt. But there's no one else to talk to her about Christianity. It's all new to her.

As for your questions, Jack, I probably couldn't know for sure, but thanks for the heads up.

The Apostle, Nicene, Chalcedonian, And Athanasian Creeds, the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Canons of Dordt are available in Chinese at: Languages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back