Resources on holiness for pastors/elders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! We all know that holiness is to be a virtue of all who call themselves followers of Jesus but this virtue seems to be especially important for those who are pastor/elder of a church since they can often have unique challenges/temptations. Any book, article and/or audio/video you know of that deals with holiness directed to pastors/elders? Thank you!

For his Glory-
Matthew

Hi Matthew
I cannot say I am an expert in this area but I do have general recommendations which are highly relevant to pastors. I struggle with this area in my own life and I am often reminded by Dr Lloyd-Jones comments that pastors should read the Puritans for their personal edification and balance.

1. Paul's advice in 1 and 2 Timothy, and Titus is essential reading for any pastor
2. The Christian in complete Armour by Gurnall. A classic!
3. Holiness by JC Ryle. I would think any issue a pastor needs help on re holiness would be found there
4. Sin and Temptation by John Owen (Crossway publishes 3 works in 1).
5. Owens Spiritual mindedness goes nicely with Sin and Temptation
6 Keeping the heart by John Flavel. Also a classic.
7. Charity and its Fruits by Jonathan Edwards

Perhaps you were after something specific, but I think the above would be a great aid to pursuing holiness in the heart of any pastor.

As an aside, I personally think it is encouraging that pastors want to focus on holiness, especially when we see the problems with the Driscoll issue as discussed on another thread.

Great stuff here and yes, read the Puritans and you will be amazed at the difference. God used them to transform my life!

Hi Matthew
I cannot say I am an expert in this area but I do have general recommendations which are highly relevant to pastors. I struggle with this area in my own life and I am often reminded by Dr Lloyd-Jones comments that pastors should read the Puritans for their personal edification and balance.

1. Paul's advice in 1 and 2 Timothy, and Titus is essential reading for any pastor
2. The Christian in complete Armour by Gurnall. A classic!
3. Holiness by JC Ryle. I would think any issue a pastor needs help on re holiness would be found there
4. Sin and Temptation by John Owen (Crossway publishes 3 works in 1).
5. Owens Spiritual mindedness goes nicely with Sin and Temptation
6 Keeping the heart by John Flavel. Also a classic.
7. Charity and its Fruits by Jonathan Edwards

Perhaps you were after something specific, but I think the above would be a great aid to pursuing holiness in the heart of any pastor.

As an aside, I personally think it is encouraging that pastors want to focus on holiness, especially when we see the problems with the Driscoll issue as discussed on another thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back