Resources on post - Reformation Papist documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedBrit

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anyone have any recommendations for resources examining important Papist documents in the post - Reformation era? I'm thinking specifically of Trent, Vatican 1, Vatican 2, and the Catholic Catechism (1992).

Specifically, I suppose I am looking for Protestant examinations and they key areas of difference between the theology presented and the Protestant/Reformed faith. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Calvin wrote an antidote to the Council of Trent:

Chemnitz examined the same council at length:

More recently, Leonardo de Chirico has examined post-Vatican II catholicism:

Calvin wrote an antidote to the Council of Trent:

Chemnitz examined the same council at length:

More recently, Leonardo de Chirico has examined post-Vatican II catholicism:
Someone offered me Chemnitz works for free.

This doctrine of Christ and of the apostles, from which the true faith of the primitive church was received, the apostles at first delivered orally, without writing, but later, not by any human counsel but by the will of God, they handed it on in the Scriptures. Martin Chemnitz

Specifically, I suppose I am looking for Protestant examinations and they key areas of difference between the theology presented and the Protestant/Reformed faith. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.
Chemnitz's Examination of the Council of Trent is helpful, but the editors of that 4 volume set have not done the public a very good service in carefully locating and documenting the sources that Chemnitz cites, and I regard source documentation as very important. I will give you an example, on pages 31, 39, 126, and 152 of volume one, Chemnitz cites the ancient writer Jerome as saying, "That is the doctrine of the Holy Spirit which is set forth in the canonical books. If the councils pronounce anything against this, I consider it wicked" Martin Chemnitz, An Examination of Trent, Part 1, pp. 31, 39, 126, 152. Some allege that this citation is from Jerome's commentary on Galatians, but I can assure you that it is not there. Also, keep in mind that Chemnitz was a Lutheran, not a Reformed theologian.

You would do well to get yourself a copy of William Whitaker, A Disputation on Holy Scripture Against the Papists, Especially Bellarmine and Stapleton, trans. and ed. William Fitzgerald (Cambridge: University Press, reprinted 1849) either in .pdf format or its reprinting by Soli Dei Gloria (2000). You will not regret procuring this work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back