Resources on the Lord's Supper Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
I am studying for my Session a series of common questions dealing with the Lord's Supper. Thus, I am looking for resources to see Biblically moreso than historically the practice of the Lord's Supper.

My questions relate to:

1) Administration (Besides Institution and Prayer, is there anything specifically in the actual administration that needs to be changed (changed from what is found in common American Presbyterianism?)

2) Frequency (How often should we administer the Lord's Supper?)

3) Elements (Should/must we use leavened/unleavened bread; wine/grape juice?)

4) Actions (Eating/Drinking; Should it be more individual or more like a celebration? Should there be a table that people gather around? Should it be a feast rather than what often occurs in American worship? What does this look like practically?)

So as I am looking for sources an example for #2 would be the Directory of Publick Worship where it refers to the frequency. I am not looking for books so much so on the meaning of the Lord's Supper, but books, articles, confessions that deal with these questions. Please keep it in the realm of Reformed Presbyterianism.

On what is to be followed as not indifferent see several chapters in part four of George Gillespie's English Popish Ceremonies.

Keith Mathison's book Given For You is outstanding. You cannot separate the meaning of the Lord's Supper from the administrative questions. What the Supper means will determine how frequently one has it. It will also determine the elements one uses. I second the recommendation of Old's book, but with a caveat: he seems to follow the Calvin versus the Calvinists school (doesn't seem to know Muller at all). This adversely affects his analysis in a couple of places. On the frequency of the Lord's Supper, there are two outstanding articles advocating weekly communion. Michael Horton's article in the Mid-America Journal, and one by Danny Hyde, I think, in the Festschrift for Robert Godfrey entitled Always Reformed. Last, but least, I myself just preached a whole series of 10 sermons on the Lord's Supper (available on Sermon Audio), wherein I addressed all of these issues (the series is entitled "Sacraments").

Indeed. :) One might ask with all the online versions why do yet a second hardbound version? In retrospect 20 years later, I decided I didn't do as good a job as I thought in 1993 (which is still a nice edition, has all the Latin translated, and has a big typeface), and the 2013 is a revised critical edition (1000 references researched, tracked, verified, translations rechecked, more added, table of errata of all editions including the first, ...). For a casual reading the freebie texts are 'okay' (the 19th century text does have a lot of errors), but if you really want to study EPC, the new edition has as many helps as I could think of to aid that.
On what is to be followed as not indifferent see several chapters in part four of George Gillespie's English Popish Ceremonies.

The text of this work can be downloaded in several formats at Project Gutenberg

What I am sure is a beautiful hardbound version can be purchased from Naphtali Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back