Resources on the Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
I am looking for some quality resources on the sacrament of communion. I am currently reading through the short book, The Lord's Supper: Eternal Word in Broken Bread by Robert Letham. Letham seems to believe that the church, including the reformed church, has relegated the sacraments to secondary importance.

I am interested in some further reading on the subject of the Lord's Supper, specifically in the tradition of historical reformed thought. Do any PB members have any recommendations of books, articles, or audio that may be helpful? Thank you in advance.

This is a good book: Amazon.com: Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper , that gives a hearing to the Reformed recovery of a proper biblical and even patristic sacramental theology, as it came from the great Reformer freshly delivered from the corruptions of the Western ecclesiastic hegemony of Romanist tradition.

I do (did) not like one thing about it, namely that KM questions whether the Reformed church has given a sufficient answer to the question of paedo-communion. Although, I suppose that the criticism might have been apropo several years ago when first published, when resurgent p-c was gaining some traction, and it had been a while since the Confessed doctrine had received a thorough, biblical re-treatment in the modern era. Since then there have been solid answers in the exegetical department, as well as a thorough refutation of the alleged historical support for p-c.

thank you Rev Buchanan. your recommendation looks like an excellent read. I will be sure to pick it up.

Discourses suited to the administration of the Lord's Supper - Rev. John Brown - Tentmaker Publications.
The Mystery of the Lord's Supper - Rev. Robert Bruce - James Clarke & Co.
A Sacramental Catechism - Rev. John Willison - Soli Deo Gloria Publications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back