Responding to someone who believes in Free Grace Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have a friend who believes in Free Grace Theology and he read that part of the WCF that discusses repentance. He read the part where it teaches that there is no pardon without repentance and he immediately jumped to the conclusion that the WCF is teaching that people are saved by their good works. I told him that the WCF also teaches that faith is the sole instrument that receives justification. I also explained that people are not justified on the basis of their repentance and that repentance is not what makes atonement for sin. I said that God causes people to be born again and as a result of being born again, they place their faith in Christ and repent of their sins. Repentance is one of consequences of being born again. I made it clear that "repentance" does not mean "do good works to save yourself." After I told him all of that, he still thinks that the WCF teaches that people are saved by their good works. How would you respond to this?

What is "repentance that leads to life," which God must grant (as a gift)? Act.11:18

How can one be converted, without heeding the command to repent? Act.3:19

Will men perish, who do not repent? 2Pet.3:9

Did Simon have any hope of forgiveness, without heeding the command to repent? Act.8:22

Is there necessity to attaching repentance and remission of sin to gospel proclamation? Lk.24:46-47

The need for repentance is a negative criteria. Which is to say, the absence of repentance is the key indicator that faith is not present.
Mt.21:32 For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.​

This is James' point about works in connection with salvation. James (who has no disagreement with Paul) is concerned with a different question than Paul, which is what do we make of an unaccompanied faith? Is it genuine? Genuine faith's first act is repentance, Mk.1:15.

Paul made repentance and faith the distinguishing marks of his ministry, Act.20:21.

Hebrews 6:1 states that repentance is part of the elementary foundation of Christ, "a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God."

Those who aren't repentant aren't Christians; it's a simple as that, Heb.12:17. Not everyone who exhibits some sorrow for sin has faith (which alone saves), 2Cor.7:10.

It would not surprise me if your friend will receive none of this teaching. The "obvious" answer to each of the five questions, plus all the other Scripture implications and direct statements, will more than likely be avoided; and what the text "must mean" will be substituted.

After presenting your case, I would simply pray for future opportunities to converse. Holy Spirit has work to do here.

I feel I can never add much to what Rev. Buchanan says but I'll try. I always remember what MacArthur said: Repentance is the flip side of faith. The two go hand and hand. The person that says repentance is adding to the Gospel are of the no Lordship dispensationalists who have taken justification by faith to the extreme removing it from what the Reformers, let alone what the Bible intends. It is a false dichtomy in confessional circles.

Also this person is just ignorant. Since the document as a whole does not teach that. The people, to my knowledge, drafting it didn't believe that. Our church tradition interpreting the document for all these years have not, to my knowledge, believed it teaches that. So what are the chances that this guy has somehow found some secret teaching that the original drafters and the thousands if not millions of people reading and interpreting it over the centuries are all wrong? Really the burden of proof is on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back