Responding to what some people say about marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have heard some people say that the purpose of marriage is procreation and that two people who consent to sexual relations without going through a marriage ceremony officiated by an ordained minister or a civil magistrate are married in God's sight. How would you respond to this? Is fundamental purpose of marriage procreation? What makes a man and a woman married?

One exception disproves the idea: Genesis 38.

I don't see Judah and Tamar being considered married in God's sight.

At a minimum, a man and woman are not married unless they are publicly held out to be joined as such. They are "put together." That is one of the purposes of a ceremony--to make it known.

To be married in God's sight, I would think, requires an acknowledgement of the union before God. That would be a proclamation and acknowledgment that this relationship is something God put together, not be be sundered by man.

Sounds like they're trying to justify fornication.

However, if you have a man and a woman stranded on a desert island, and they fall in love in want to marry, I'm sure they could pledge their commitment to each other before God and it would be seen as a valid marriage in His sight. However, if they got rescued they would need to marry civilly so that the marriage would be recognised by the state.

One exception disproves the idea: Genesis 38.

I don't see Judah and Tamar being considered married in God's sight.

At a minimum, a man and woman are not married unless they are publicly held out to be joined as such. They are "put together." That is one of the purposes of a ceremony--to make it known.

To be married in God's sight, I would think, requires an acknowledgement of the union before God. That would be a proclamation and acknowledgment that this relationship is something God put together, not be be sundered by man.

The situation involving Judah and Tamar is a good example.

Would this be a good Biblical response?

The Bible forbids fornication (1 Corinthians 6:9-10). Hence, having sex outside of marriage does not make you married in God's sight.

Romans 13 teaches that we must submit ourselves to the civil government. The civil government is authorized by God to make laws. However, this does not mean that it is ok for the civil government to make ungodly laws. We must obey the civil government unless it commands us to sin. The civil government says that a man and a woman are not married until an ordained minister or civil magistrate pronounces them married. Unless an ordained or civil magistrate pronounces a man and a woman married, then they are not married.

Sounds like they're trying to justify fornication.

However, if you have a man and a woman stranded on a desert island, and they fall in love in want to marry, I'm sure they could pledge their commitment to each other before God and it would be seen as a valid marriage in His sight. However, if they got rescued they would need to marry civilly so that the marriage would be recognised by the state.

That's right. They are trying to justify fornication.

Also note that if a man takes a woman before she is given away that that man might not be given the woman. The scriptures recognize being betrothed or espoused. There was a putting together that the parents played in the role of marriage.

Exodus 22:16
And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife. 17 If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins.b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back