Responsive Singing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peairtach

Puritan Board Doctor
Does "speaking to yourselves" (Eph 5:19), and "teaching and admonishing one another" (Col 3:16) refer to antiphonal, responsive chanting, or just ordinary singing, with or without harmonies?

I'm not seeking to "multiply rules to no purpose" - not that it would be in my gift to do so - such that when Psalms are sung, or sung in public worship, they must be sung only antiphonally.

I'm just interested to know if that is what the Apostle is speaking of here.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

There are references I believe with some early church fathers to antiphonal singing.
For myself I would take it as normal congregational singing from the heart unto the
Lord, melodious and spiritual. Because the psalms are divinely composed and given,
then they are fully and infallibly truth. It is by that truth we teach and admonish one
another. I would take it that speaking, admonishing, teaching would all be embraced
under the act of singing. Interestingly this is the only occasion that the sisters are
permitted to teach in the church.
I don't think we can import antiphonal singing from the Temple, where there were stated
officers for the practise, into small local congregations.

You may find this previous thread useful starting on this post. If one holds that the "teaching and admonishing" of those verses are directly speaking to the everyday life of the Christian, then the "teaching and admonishing" does not directly refer to congregational singing except by way of application. In such a case, there can be no warrant for responsive singing found from these verses of themselves, so far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back