Restrictions and privileges of the Sunday Sabbath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabee

Obi Wan Kenobi
I confess, I've found some of the statements in the other threads baffling in regard to what's permitted/not-permitted. It seems more a matter of conscience than anything, to most. Yet, if that's the case, I see little difference between pro-Sunday Sabbath, and those who disagree - it's a matter of conscience. There seems little continuity in what it means to "observe the Sabbath." So, I would appreciate it if those who confess to be "Sabbatarians" could enlighten us on what the privileges are (if there are any that are distinct from the rest of us) and what the restrictions are (where they differ from what we should do from day to day).

1. What are the privileges of Sabbath Sunday adherence, beyond the agreed upon blessings of the Lord's Day?
  2. What are the restrictions you perceive as biblical?
  3. How do these restrictions differ from our every day restrictions? (if applicable - could be redundant)
  4. What criteria do you use to determine what restrictions you would place?
  5. To what degree is this a discipline issue in the church (up to excommunication)?

For non-sabbatarians, please do not debate in this thread. It's simply for the purpose of understanding how such conclusions are drawn.

Blessings: in Hebrews we are told there is now therefore a sabbath rest for those who are in Christ. I understand this to be a threefold rest -- first the rest afforded by not working one day in seven (imagine how that must have been after enslavement in Egypt!) plus the promise we see demonstrated in God giving double manna going into the Sabbath (He provides what we need for seven days with the work done in six). Secondly is the rest inherent in the gospel: "come unto me you who are weary." And third, the rest that is to come in the new heavens and the new earth. I'll add another blessing here that just came to mind. I recall an esteemed reformed professor/pastor saying that each Sunday is like a pearl on the necklace of our lifetime: pointing to that day when we will be able to worship Christ without the restrains of time, our sinful nature and so forth. So the opportunity for worship should be counted as a blessing too. I'm sure there are others.

I'll see if I can add some thoughts on your other questions later. This is Thursday and they ain't no rest today!

Blessings: in Hebrews we are told there is now therefore a sabbath rest for those who are in Christ. I understand this to be a threefold rest -- first the rest afforded by not working one day in seven (imagine how that must have been after enslavement in Egypt!) plus the promise we see demonstrated in God giving double manna going into the Sabbath (He provides what we need for seven days with the work done in six). Secondly is the rest inherent in the gospel: "come unto me you who are weary." And third, the rest that is to come in the new heavens and the new earth. I'll add another blessing here that just came to mind. I recall an esteemed reformed professor/pastor saying that each Sunday is like a pearl on the necklace of our lifetime: pointing to that day when we will be able to worship Christ without the restrains of time, our sinful nature and so forth. So the opportunity for worship should be counted as a blessing too. I'm sure there are others.

I'll see if I can add some thoughts on your other questions later. This is Thursday and they ain't no rest today!

Interesting that you brought up Egypt. In ancient Egypt, the work week was 10 days long- nine work days and one day of rest. When the law is reviewed in Deuteronomy 5, the 4th commandment refers to Egypt instead of creation, and I think the different week model might have been partly in view.

As for the five questions, here's my 1/50th of a buck-

Q. 1- already answered in the question.
Q. 2- Working one's vocation for profit (there are certain jobs that require Sunday shifts, such as medicine and law enforcement).
Q. 3- I'm supposed to earn a living the rest of the week.
Q. 4- Exodus 20- it's all ya need.
Q. 5- Outside of the exclusion in Q2, it is very much a discipline issue. How does one fellowship with the saints if they're slinging burgers at Mickey D's?

Theognome

This is not a "...question from the newly Reformed..." but a debate about praxis. Questions in this forum are not meant to be rhetorical or leading but are meant for novices who want answers from those knowledgeable in the Reformed answers to their questions.

-----Added 2/5/2009 at 06:17:44 EST-----

Moved to Law of God and re-opened.

I understand what you are intending here but please understand, I would no more employ a term "Sabbatarian" for someone who tries to follow the Forth Commandment than the term "Covetarian" for someone who tries to follow the Tenth. The Ten Commandments, all of them, summarily comprehend God's moral law given for all men. That's why God had them written on tablets of stone, all of them.

I confess, I've found some of the statements in the other threads baffling in regard to what's permitted/not-permitted. It seems more a matter of conscience than anything, to most. Yet, if that's the case, I see little difference between pro-Sunday Sabbath, and those who disagree - it's a matter of conscience. There seems little continuity in what it means to "observe the Sabbath." So, I would appreciate it if those who confess to be "Sabbatarians" could enlighten us on what the privileges are (if there are any that are distinct from the rest of us) and what the restrictions are (where they differ from what we should do from day to day).

1. What are the privileges of Sabbath Sunday adherence, beyond the agreed upon blessings of the Lord's Day?
    Westminster Confession of Faith
    Chapter XXI
    Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]
  2. What are the restrictions you perceive as biblical?
    VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]
  3. How do these restrictions differ from our every day restrictions? (if applicable - could be redundant)
    God calls us to rest from our ordinary labor and recreation in thought, word and deed and to focus on worship of Him that one day in seven only.
  4. What criteria do you use to determine what restrictions you would place?
    The Scripture proofs to Chapter XXI
  5. To what degree is this a discipline issue in the church (up to excommunication)?

My understanding of ex-communication is that it is for open, scandalous sin that God causes to become known to church authority and is only a last resort after a process of other steps. It is really for sustained impenitence and defiance of church authority.

I cannot image sabbath recreation, for example, as even being the kind of sin to which that would apply.

For non-sabbatarians, please do not debate in this thread. It's simply for the purpose of understanding how such conclusions are drawn.

Scripture proofs

[34] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. ISA 56:2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. 4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant. 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; 7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

[35] GEN 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. 1CO 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. ACT 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

[36] REV 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.

[37] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. MAT 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

[38] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. EXO 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. 25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the Lord: to day ye shall not find it in the field. 26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none. 29 See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30 So the people rested on the seventh day. 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words. NEH 13:15 In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. 16 There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. 17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day? 18 Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath. 19 And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. 21 Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath. 22 And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy.

[39] ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words.

Last edited:
[*]How do these restrictions differ from our every day restrictions?

I don't think of them as restictions, but as being liberated from earthly concerns so as to be able to engage more fully in what I hope to be doing for all eternity -- "spending the whole time in the ... exercises of God's worship." What I can't understand is why people filled with the Spirit of God might feel they don't want to do this when the opportunity is afforded to them.

Brother,

"What I can't understand is why people filled with the Spirit of God might feel they don't want to do this when the opportunity is afforded to them."

There is an easy answer - it gets tiring. "...much study is wearisome to the flesh.", for example.

Don't take that the wrong way. Just chiming in on the idea that holiness is not easy. In fallen bodies and minds it is one of the most demanding, difficult and stressful things we can attempt in every area, and constantly fail at. For many people the Lord's Day can become hard, or even start out that way.

In fallen bodies and minds it is one of the most demanding, difficult and stressful things we can attempt in every area, and constantly fail at.

Granted; but, acknowledging that the flesh is weak, surely the spirit should be willing. The believer mourns because the good that he would he does not; but if he ceases being willing to do the good, there will be no shortcoming to mourn.

Scott,
Thank you for your answer. I prefer not to use "Sabbatarian" in deference to your earlier mention of this. That's why I used "Sunday Sabbath" and quotes when using "Sabbatarian." It's simply convenient and the term most people use. I'm happy to use something else if there's a good alternative.

Thank you for your comments gentlemen. I look forward to more information. However, I would also appreciate the same courtesy that I asked of those who do not consider Sunday as the Sabbath. I was hoping to learn more about how you govern yourselves, what your guidelines and restraints (privileges) are and how you pursue them in light of the questions, not how you felt about those of us who disagree. It's an opportunity to enlighten without counter-debate, but please don't take it as an opportunity to deride those who are restrained from responding, thereby detracting from the thread. There are other threads in progress where you can do that.

Thank you,

In fallen bodies and minds it is one of the most demanding, difficult and stressful things we can attempt in every area, and constantly fail at.

Granted; but, acknowledging that the flesh is weak, surely the spirit should be willing. The believer mourns because the good that he would he does not; but if he ceases being willing to do the good, there will be no shortcoming to mourn.

Matthew, that has been my struggle with the sabbath. I desire to keep it, but often find myself straying from my intended path. That has not lessened my desire, instead it has increased my resolve.

My family and my church are non-Sabbatarian, so my understanding of "how the fourth commandment applies today" is limited. Thus, permit me to ask this question in addition to the aforementioned five: how are the other commanded Sabbaths in Exodus (i.e. 3 specific feasts a year, 1 in 7 years) different from the Sunday Sabbath?

I am certain this is a question that directly relates to my understanding of the application of Old Testament laws, but as I read through Exodus I just don't see a difference in how these Sabbaths are commanded. Thank you for your patience. :)

My family and my church are non-Sabbatarian, so my understanding of "how the fourth commandment applies today" is limited. Thus, permit me to ask this question in addition to the aforementioned five: how are the other commanded Sabbaths in Exodus (i.e. 3 specific feasts a year, 1 in 7 years) different from the Sunday Sabbath?

I am certain this is a question that directly relates to my understanding of the application of Old Testament laws, but as I read through Exodus I just don't see a difference in how these Sabbaths are commanded. Thank you for your patience. :)

Maybe this doesn't quite answer your question, but Fred addressed this I thought. http://www.puritanboard.com/f121/seeking-counsel-sabbatarianism-43430/#post541724

What are the privileges of Sabbath Sunday adherence, beyond the agreed upon blessings of the Lord's Day?

I think health and longer life might result (i.e. a rest from burnout and stress).

What are the restrictions you perceive as biblical?

Working that is not out of necessity or out of mercy is restricted. This means a restriction on working, not doing the normal things of life to survive, such as driving to church, putting logs on fires or even cooking a meal so that you can eat it fresh. The Sabbath has gotten a bad name due to those who strain at gnats and create very tedious regulations so that people must labor at keeping the Sabbath instead of just relaxing and enjoying the Lord.

I think folks sometimes define "work" too broadly and include in the definition of "work" stuff that really isn't "work."

How do these restrictions differ from our every day restrictions? (if applicable - could be redundant)

Whatever we labor at for the other 6 days of the week we should try to rest from on the Sabbath.

What criteria do you use to determine what restrictions you would place?

I ask myself, "Is this work?" Is it for mercy or out of necessity? Am I resting today?

To what degree is this a discipline issue in the church (up to excommunication)?

Churches should recognize a wide variance in opinions about the practical application of the Lord's Day.

Wannabee
Thank you for your answer. I prefer not to use "Sabbatarian" in deference to your earlier mention of this. That's why I used "Sunday Sabbath" and quotes when using "Sabbatarian." It's simply convenient and the term most people use. I'm happy to use something else if there's a good alternative.

Thanks for the recognition.

Although the application of the Fourth Commandment is the historical reformed understanding of the doctrine of Scripture, it is sometimes now referred to as being "sabbath conscious" or a "strict view of the sabbath" or "the Puritan view of the sabbath," all of which terms belie the fact that some view it as peculiar to follow Scripture on that point, as if it were a whole doctrine system unto itself.

Of course, it is not a systematic belief unto itself but only an integrated part of "the Ten."

Here on Puritan Board, we might say something like hold the Westminster Standards or London Baptist Confession view of the sabbath. That might be embarrassing for those who do not, and take exception or are unclear at that point. :)

For a good book on this topic, you may find this helpful:
Lord's Day by Joseph Pipa
http://www.wtsbooks.com/product-exec/product_id/1352/nm/Lord_s_Day_Paperback_

Thank you for your responses. With all the recent discussion on the Sabbath and the number who are in firm support of Sunday's observance of the Sabbath, I thought more would have chimed in; especially when counter Sunday Sabbath observers (sorry Scott - it's shorter) have been asked to refrain. I know there is some disagreement on how to answer these questions, so was hoping to see how y'all worked through it. Perhaps there's been a Sabbath overload though.

Having not participated in the Sabbath threads so far, I'll be part of "more chiming in."

1.) I have to admit to being slightly puzzled by this question. I think understand your literal meaning: I recall in another thread that you commented on how it seems you "do" and "don't do" all the same things that "Sabbath-folk" do on Sundays; the difference was motive: this was done not because it was the Sabbath. So what further advantage is there, since you seem to be getting the same rest and worship time as us Sunday Sabbath folk? Much in every way, I would say! By way of cheap analogy; I might pull a bottle of scotch out of my cabinet to drink. This, however, is no ordinary bottle of scotch. This is a $25,000 single malt scotch, of which only 3 bottles were made; it is the absolute finest scotch ever made, and the other two bottles are gone forever. This is the last one. There's only one catch: I have no idea this is a unique scotch. So I drink it. I enjoy it. It tastes good. But I don't realize how unique and special it is. Now, replay the same situation, only this time I actually realize what it is that I have. I will savour it all the more. It will be uniquely special. Now (again, I realize this is a cheap analogy), but apply this to Sunday. When I realize that this is the specific, stated Sabbath rest which God has given to his people, a pledge of the great eschatological rest which surely awaits his people, that it is a special and sure mercy granted by our gracious Father, and in that light I participate in the activities prescribed for that day (that is, the means of partaking of the Sabbath), these tokens and activities are going to have a superadded significance than if I partake in them merely circumstantially. We have to remember always that God looks to the heart: and when he sees his children waiting upon him for a taste of his heavenly blessings (in this case, the eternal sabbath rest), by faith (that is, faithfully using his prescribed means: the sabbath), I have to believe that he surely grants favor to his children and refreshes us spiritually in our Sabbath observing.

Then again, perhaps I've missed the thrust of your question.

2.) I'm sorry, but I really don't think you're going to get a list from anyone. I think if you tell any person, "Set this day apart purely for the stated, specific worship of the LORD, corporately and privately," there's just really not that much ambiguity as to what it means. The problem arises when we accept/reject the Sabbath as a specific day. If it is once granted that Sunday is indeed the Sabbath, in which we are both commanded and invited to spend the day in the worship of God, questions as to what specific acts are forbidden simply will not arise. Perhaps, also, I am simply naive. But why should we look for things that we are allowed to do, when we have a command/invitation to that one great thing which we claim we are longing and eagerly waiting for in eternity?

3.) On no other day are we commanded to refrain from our normal labors and pursuits. In fact, it would be downright irresponsible for the general populace to spend every day dedicated strictly to the public worship of God. We are to be holy, of course, every day, and striving to see our God glorified. This does not mean that every day is to be set apart for the stated worship of God.

4.) I think this one is simpler: Is this either directly concerned with the worship of God and fellowship with believers, or is this at least a necessary daily task (or act of mercy)? Again, detailed criteria and lists I think just will not be found.

5.) If one refuses to honor the Sabbath, how would this not become an issue of church discipline? But regarding levels and particulars of enforcement, I leave that up for now to those far wiser and actually charged with doing such things. Lest we forget, however, that discipline is something practiced at varying levels among all members of the church, I would definitely admonish my brothers and sisters around me to observe the day if I should see them faltering, as I hope that they will do for me with respect to this and the other commandments. If they tell me they think it to be unnecessary, I would probably strongly encourage them to tell this to the elders, and allow them to talk it over.

Anyway, sorry if I have just rehashed things which have been said already; but, you said you were hoping more would answer. So there's my two cents.

Grace and peace, brother.

-----Added 2/6/2009 at 11:05:05 EST-----

I think Perg really hit the nail on the head with a lot of the points. There is no need for straining. You want to take a walk with your family after service? Rock on, I think. Thomas Manton took a walk with his family after preaching each Sunday, in the course of which walk they reviewed the points of his sermon. I'm sure they occasionally remarked on how pretty that tree over there was, as well. But that's just a guess.

I think our (Sabbath observers) emphasis on not working or doing unnecessary things, which is often defensive in nature, is seen from that one-sided, defensive nature: that we are disallowing certain things, and that's all we want to do. As though every word which comes out of our mouth that day must have an immediate connection to God. It's fine to say "Good morning to wife;" in fact, it might even be okay to say, "I love you," and ask your kids how they enjoyed their breakfast. But I don't want to get too carried away here.

Also, a hearty AMEN to Matthew Winzer's post.

1.) I have to admit to being slightly puzzled by this question.
The basis of the question would exclude worship practices common to us all, fellowship, and any other activity that would be ordinary regardless of our Sabbath position. I also was attempting to be careful not to pose the question with a negative connotation. Your answer was very helpful. Thank you. I don't know if I've ever had Scotch.
Number two just seemed a natural question. But, in light of what the OT commandment entails, it does have bearing. Perhaps question 4 is more pertinent. Mostly, I just wanted to round off the thinking so as to attempt to look under every rock and stimulate discussion.
On number 5 there will be some who have differing perspectives on this. In helping think through it one would have to consider all ten commandments, correct? Which of these ten is not an excommunication offense if repentance is not expressed? I know that might sound like baiting. Really, I'm not. It was central to the question in the first place. In light of the OT punishment for Sabbath breaking, I'm wondering how this is dealt with.

Thank you Paul. I do appreciate you taking the time to "chime in." :D

1.) I have to admit to being slightly puzzled by this question.
The basis of the question would exclude worship practices common to us all, fellowship, and any other activity that would be ordinary regardless of our Sabbath position. I also was attempting to be careful not to pose the question with a negative connotation. Your answer was very helpful. Thank you. I don't know if I've ever had Scotch.
Number two just seemed a natural question. But, in light of what the OT commandment entails, it does have bearing. Perhaps question 4 is more pertinent. Mostly, I just wanted to round off the thinking so as to attempt to look under every rock and stimulate discussion.
On number 5 there will be some who have differing perspectives on this. In helping think through it one would have to consider all ten commandments, correct? Which of these ten is not an excommunication offense if repentance is not expressed? I know that might sound like baiting. Really, I'm not. It was central to the question in the first place. In light of the OT punishment for Sabbath breaking, I'm wondering how this is dealt with.

Thank you Paul. I do appreciate you taking the time to "chime in." :D

This was your 2,000th post! Woot!

Theognome

Hey, thanks for the thread reference, Joe.

Another question I have with the previous questions in mind: what exactly is "work" in reference to what should be avoided on the Sabbath? For example, if I want to cook or exercise for my own enjoyment (much like playing croquet or the like), is that restricted work since I have to exert effort or something?

Andrew: I might suggest a change in categories. If we have some magic "effort-meter" and anytime we exert a certain amount of effort on the Sabbath, we are sinning -- we might be missing the point. Just ask anyone who has one of those new ESV study bibles: the thing is so massive, one exerts an incredible amount of effort carrying it to church.

A more pertinent question would be: is what I am doing either a "common," necessary work or something by which I am worshipping God; or is it worldly employment or concern (or recreation, depending upon your confessional standards). In other words: is this either necessary for or does it contribute to the observation and celebration of my Sabbath-day, or does it not?

One thing that might also be helpful here is that there were parts of the ceremonial law and civil law given to Israel that affected the sabbath.

Reformed theology summarizes the application of this law by saying the ceremonial is fulfilled in Christ, the civil law expired with the nation (except that some equitable principles may still apply).

Exodus 35:3

3Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.

So when we look at a specific prohibition coming from these sources, we would begin by generally assuming it is not strictly applicable to us today.

Mercifully, our Lord has provided exceptions for necessity or mercy which I think were even there in the Old Testament (and that might be even a good topic for another thread). Explicitly though, those exceptions are there for us in the New Testament.

I think the following account illustrates this:

Matthew 12

1At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.

2But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

3But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

4How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

5Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

6But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

7But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

8For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Remember, Jesus perfectly obeyed the Law (all of it- whether we understand it now as "moral," "ceremonial," or "civil.")

So, there never was a prohibition against eating or necessary food preparation on the sabbath in the Old Testament. There may have been time, place or manner-type restrictions, such as when God was leading Israel through barren wilderness for 40 years to wait for his miraculous provision amidst the no-food-producing desert surroundings.

There never was a prohibition against food preparation in the Old Testament, either. So, when the disciples plucked grain, they were not violating even the Old Testament law. The Pharisees may have tried to add their own restrictions, but they were never in God's Law. Adding to God Law's in an attempt to bind men's consciences with things that are not in there, is "legalism," as I understand it.

Now, this is a bit tricky, but we must avoid, for example, undue preparation, focus and time in food preparation on the sabbath because we are required to try, relying on God's grace, to focus on Him all day without distraction.

I really don't think "undue" food preparation is that complicated, but it can be difficult to apply exactly what that means in certain contexts. That doesn't mean we don't try- we try by faith, and we approach it in good faith.

Since advance preparation is part of keeping the fourth commandment, we should ordinarily not spend the day cooking or in elaborate meal preparation. We might do that on other days of the week, but not on Sunday because the day is to be kept "holy" "set apart" "different" from the rest of the days where we might focus on food preparation so that we are free to worship God corporately, in family, and individually all the day. And that is done not only by deed but by thought and word, which is more difficult. Remember, God looks at our heart and our actions- and He listens to our words too.

We may rationalize our sin, but we cannot keep the Sabbath by focusing on preparing an elaborate meal, inviting over Christian and non-Christian friends, talking and thinking about work and football while watching the Super Bowl. Even if we "enjoy" it or find it "recreating."

Practically, part of preparation, as the Westminster Standards summarize, is to prepare in advance for the sabbath so that distractions are minimized. If an unplanned emergency or situation comes up, the Lord has generously provided us exceptions for mercy and necessity. That is so wonderful! Those are there because our Lord did not intend the sabbath to be a burden, but to be a delight. And for those who try, in good faith, to obey, perhaps will find it so. God really is good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back