Return to thy rest, O my soul

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Ralph Erskine (The Vanity of Earthly Things, etc.), Sermons 1:247:

God alone being the centre of the soul, the creature can never give rest to the soul; the soul is still in disquiet till it come to a God in Christ, which is the true rest. “Return to thy rest, O my soul,” Ps. 116:7. The covetous man, if he has riches, will say, “Return to thy rest, O my soul: Soul, thou hast goods laid up for many years.” But he was mistaken of his centre, for he had no rest at all: he was disinherited that night and sent out of the world. No quarters for the soul in the creature; there is no suitableness to the soul in the creature. Why? The soul is a spirit; the creature is a body. The soul hath vast infinite desires; the creature is finite. The soul is eternal and immortal; the creature is but of yesterday, and perisheth tomorrow: and so there is no suitableness between the soul and the creature. It is only between God and the soul that there is a suitableness; and therefore the creature is empty and vain, and cannot satisfy the vast and immense desires of the immortal soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back