Revelation 3:5 - really blotted out or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EAV 1Jo 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
EAV 1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
EAV Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

I think there is a direct corrolation with these two passages.
My :wr50:

I think the corralation is between sin and it's consequences that certain sins ultimately will indeed lead to physical death even for the believer. Although they are still redeemed. Similarly, The Apostle Paul's handing over the man in Corinth to Satan for the destruction of his flesh so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Cor 5:5 I think the blotting out has to do more with physical death than with spiritual death.

"And the LORD said unto me, Arise, get thee down quickly from hence; for thy people which thou hast brought forth out of Egypt have corrupted themselves; they are quickly turned aside out of the way which I commanded them; they have made them a molten image.

Furthermore the LORD spake unto me, saying, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:
Let me alone, that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under heaven: and I will make of thee a nation mightier and greater than they."Deut.9:12-14

The book of life represents the covenant people, and the not truly saved can be blotted out.
andreas. :candle:

[quote:5cda84cca0="WrittenFromUtopia"]I really don't like the word "blot" .. it scares me.[/quote:5cda84cca0]
I think that's the point! :bs2:

I just saw this thread. I cannot believe the arguments here. This is such a simple passage.

[quote:1e7564395d]
III. We now come to the conclusion of this epistle, in which, as before, we have,
1. A great reward promised to the conquering Christian (Rev_3:5), and it is very much the same with what has been already mentioned: He that overcometh shall be clothed in white raiment. The purity of grace shall be rewarded with the perfect purity of glory. Holiness, when perfected, shall be its own reward; glory is the perfection of grace, differing not in kind, but in degree. Now to this is added another promise very suitable to the case: I will not blot his name out of the book of life, but will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. Observe, (1.) Christ has his book of life, a register and roll of all who shall inherit eternal life. [1.] The book of eternal election. [2.] The book of remembrance of all those who have lived to God, and have kept up the life and power of godliness in evil times. (2.) Christ will not blot the names of his chosen and faithful ones out of this book of life; men may be enrolled in the registers of the church, as baptized, as making a profession, as having a name to live, and that name may come to be blotted out of the roll, when it appears that it was but a name, a name to live, without spiritual life; such often lose the very name before they die, they are left of God to blot out their own names by their gross and open wickedness. But the names of those that overcome shall never be blotted out. (3.) Christ will produce this book of life, and confess the names of the faithful who stand there, before God, and all the angels; he will do this as their Judge, when the books shall be opened; he will do this as their captain and head, leading them with him triumphantly to heaven, presenting them to the Father: Behold me, and the children that thou hast given me. How great will this honour and reward be!

- Matthew Henry

[/quote:1e7564395d]

Psa 109:13 Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back