Reverence and propriety before God in worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

shead

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello brethren!

My first post besides my hello post in the welcome forum, I hope I've placed it in the proper forum.

Our little congregation is very close and very tight, my wife and I love it. All of us have come out of the mega church style of spectacle-flavored "worship" and mediocre sermons. Overcoming the idea that God is some kind of heavenly good buddy is difficult for some of our members, and we are seeking to encourage one another to worship our Lord as the Almighty, Creator, Ancient of Days, and come before him with reverence and a trembling spirit. While we know we are free to boldly approach the throne of God as our loving and gracious Father, we don't want to be cavalier about it, we want to worship God in proper fashion.

Can any of you help sharpen us in this direction with the Word? Where might we best look to see how God requires His people to worship Him corporately? I'm sure I've overlooked some gem of God's Word. We do tend to stand on the various "make a joyful noise" and "skillful psalm singing" type of Psalms as understanding that a proper liberty of emotion is a good thing, but we want to ensure we understand what the Bible says about true piety and reverence.

Insight?

There are many wise and Biblical directions found in the Westminster Directory of Public Worship for how the saints are to assemble for the purpose of magnifying the Lord in a sober and reverent manner. This section may be helpful in particular.

Of the Assembling of the Congregation, and their Behaviour in the Publick Worship of God.

WHEN the congregation is to meet for publick worship, the people (having before prepared their hearts thereunto) ought all to come and join therein; not absenting themselves from the publick ordinance through negligence, or upon pretence of private meetings.

Let all enter the assembly, not irreverently, but in a grave and seemly manner, taking their seats or places without adoration, or bowing themselves towards one place or other.

The congregation being assembled, the minister, after solemn calling on them to the worshipping of the great name of God, is to begin with prayer.

"In all reverence and humility acknowledging the incomprehensible greatness and majesty of the Lord, (in whose presence they do then in a special manner appear,) and their own vileness and unworthiness to approach so near him, with their utter inability of themselves to so great a work; and humbly beseeching him for pardon, assistance, and acceptance, in the whole service then to be performed; and for a blessing on that particular portion of his word then to be read: And all in the name and mediation of the Lord Jesus Christ."

The publick worship being begun, the people are wholly to attend upon it, forbearing to read any thing, except what the minister is then reading or citing; and abstaining much more from all private whisperings, conferences, salutations, or doing reverence to any person present, or coming in; as also from all gazing, sleeping, and other indecent behaviour, which may disturb the minister or people, or hinder themselves or others in the service of God.

If any, through necessity, be hindered from being present at the beginning, they ought not, when they come into the congregation, to betake themselves to their private devotions, but reverently to compose themselves to join with the assembly in that ordinance of God which is then in hand.

I would suggest reading Jeremiah Burroughs' "Gospel Worship" available from Ligonier/Soli Deo Gloria. I am slowly working through it during lunch with a number of pages more yellow than white left in my wake.

It does not speak directly to the mode or manner of worship but rather to our approach and attitude towards worship. This would directly address "... the idea that God is some kind of heavenly good buddy ... encourage one another to worship our Lord as the Almighty, Creator, Ancient of Days, and come before him with reverence and a trembling spirit."

I think "Gospel Fear" by Burroughs can also be helpful. You might look at Horton Davies' two volumes "The Worship of the English Puritans" and "The Worship of the American Puritans."

Originally posted by Don Kistler
I think "Gospel Fear" by Burroughs can also be helpful. You might look at Horton Davies' two volumes "The Worship of the English Puritans" and "The Worship of the American Puritans."

That reminds me, I have only in chapter 3 of Gospel Worship by Jeremiah Burroughs. This is excellent as well. Already I find myself wonder that I've ever worshipped at all.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back