RHB released a new defense of the biblical creation account.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
CVDItB3Dwebsmall.png

We just published a new defense of the literal Six-Day Creation interpretation of Genesis. The book fairly and soberly examines the opposing interpretations. Throughout, Van Dam is respectful and pastoral; he seeks to build up the elect's faith in the biblical creation account and lead to the praise of our God subsequently.

Dr. Van Dam writes: "The purpose of my new book, In the Beginning: Listening to Genesis 1 and 2, is to contribute to the ongoing discussion among Bible-believing scholars. Its focus is to determine whether the creation account is a historical report of what actually happened. This is the view that the vast majority of Christians have held through the ages. Of course, in making this determination, we not only need to listen to Scripture, but we must also address the issue of how science fits into this discussion. God has not given the Bible to serve as a science textbook. That is not its purpose. On the other hand, God’s Word is true. God does not lie (John 17:17; Titus 1:2)." (You can read the rest of his article, Listening to Genesis 1 and 2, here. )

Here is what others have written on this new release:

"Do we need yet another book on the question of Bible and creation? Some will doubt it – but do not close the door too quickly! Prof. em. Van Dam´s dealing with many of the difficult issues around Bible and creation is very much worth reading. His book offers a large amount of illuminating, sober, and clear exegetical insights into Genesis 1 and 2 as well as many other related biblical passages. He relates these texts to scientific theories, especially the theory of evolution, in helpful ways, addressing also general methodological issues and reminding us of the limits of scientific knowledge in these matters. His arguments for the historicity of Genesis 1 and 2 deserve serious attention. From an Old Testament perspective, Van Dam´s remarks against an uncritical reading of extra-biblical ancient Near Eastern views into Genesis 1 and 2 are particularly important. I highly recommend this book, both for laypersons and scholars, including as a textbook for seminary courses." — Markus Zehnder, Professor of Old Testament and Semitic Languages at Talbot School of Theology, California

“This is an important book. Not only on Genesis 1 and 2 but also on the inevitable and crucial implications of the interpretation of these chapters for understanding the truth of Scripture as a whole, Van Dam succeeds admirably in meeting, in his own words, the ‘need to listen very carefully to God’s Word and conclude neither more nor less than what Scripture explicitly teaches.’ Clearly written, carefully and thoroughly researched, fair in dealing with views he disagrees with, and balanced in his own conclusions on issues, a commendable strength as well is the pastoral tone present throughout. Particularly helpful are the treatment of the place of extrabiblical evidence in interpreting Scripture and numerous comments at various points on the relationship between Scripture and science. One need not agree with Van Dam at every point to be both instructed and edified, as I have been, by this valuable work.” — Richard B. Gaffin Jr., professor of biblical and systematic theology, emeritus, Westminster Theological Seminary

Table of Contents:

1. Introduction
  2. The Place of Extra-Biblical Evidence in Interpreting Scripture
  3. The Historicity of Genesis 1:1–2:3
  4. “In the Beginning”
  5. The Days of Creation
  6. “God Created”
  7. “The Heavens and the Earth” and Cosmology
  8. Days One to Six
  9. The Completed Creation and the Seventh Day
  10. The Historicity of Genesis and the Garden of Eden
  11. The Work of Creation and the Gospel

Appendix: The Creation of Heaven and Angels

You can check his book out here: https://bit.ly/CVDGenesis[/CENTER]

Based on the thread title I thought it was a new book about the Framework View...

In all seriousness, this looks like a really good book! Based on Dr. Gaffin's endorsement, I imagine that Ch. 2 is particularly helpful and worth the price of the book. When we studied the various views in seminary I remember finding the resources defending the traditional six calendar day view underwhelming. It was almost as if the many strengths and straight-forward reading of the text in the traditional view made it easier to defend without mounting the most robust defense possible. Thanks for sharing!

Back